back to article Facebook, HP, and OpenStack join Linux patent shield

Facebook, HP, and the OpenStack project have joined the Open Invention Network (OIN), a consortium of organizations intent on protecting Linux and related open-source software from legal attack. On Wednesday, the OIN announced that in the first quarter, 74 new organizations joined its "community" as licensees, including …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMing
    Thumb Down

To be fair...

...Java/Dalvak are not part of "the Linux system".

2. Matt Bucknall
    WTF?

Huh?

How does Oracle suing Google over a Java related issue have anything to do with Linux?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It doesn't relieve heartburn.

"Oracle's lawsuit against Google is the strongest evidence that my concerns about the Open Invention Network are well-founded. Both Oracle and Google are OIN licensees, so in theory there is a non-aggression pact in place between them, but everyone can see that Oracle sues Google anyway because the OIN's scope of protection is too narrow."

In other words the problem with OIN is it only does exactly what it says on the tin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Erm, no!

The non-aggression pact in place covers only Linux and as far as I know, Oracle is not suing Google for that, irrespective of how much Florian Mueller would like to convince us. So, for the world minus Florian, OIN does what it says.

To Mr. Cade Metz: you'd better show us at least one situation when Florian Mueller was proven to be correct. In absence of this, I'll file all this under FUD category.

4. Steve McIntyre
    FAIL

Yawn - more crap from Mueller

Don't post quotes from him - he's utterly discredited...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is a start

OIN does what it says on the tin, true. It is also at least a start in the right direction, so knocking it risks sending us back down in to the mire of idiotic litigation. Leave OIN alone.

6. E 2

Irony

Given Sony has banned Linux from the new PS3 I find it ironic that Sony is a member of the OIN!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like