back to article Feds rubberstamp Novell patent deal

The US government will permit the sale of 882 Novell patents to a Microsoft-led consortium after the group agreed revise its deal. But although the US Department of Justice (DoJ) is letting the deal proceed, it has warned that it will investigate distribution of Novell's patents to the consortium, known as CPTN Holdings. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Combat Wombat
    Badgers

Did you hear that ?

It was the sonic boom, caused by the fed's rubber stamp coming down so fast.

2. chekri
    Jobs Horns

GPL on a patent

A patent licensed under GPL2? Forgive me if im remarkably ignorant but GPL2 is a copyright license, this is a patent...

1. Quxy
      Boffin

GPLv2 contains some protections against software patents...

...namely a prohibition on adding patent royalties, and an implicit patent grant. But to make those protections explicit (for Linux, at least), the agreement also stipulates coverage by the OIN licence, e.g. http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_license_agreement.php

3. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

I, for one,

Am SHOCKED! Seriously, what took them so long? You'd think that for what MS & Co. pays for pols this would have been fast tracked.

4. Goat Jam
    Pirate

Oh Well

So much for OSS then.

The DoJ had similar concerns about the sale of Java and made sure that deal was modified to protect it from similar threats.

We all know how that worked out don't we.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Time for a divorce?

America v Rest of the world

P.S.

You can tell I've go no work today can't you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

re: Time for a divorce?

Oh god yes! I'm tired of the US always having to bail out Europe.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Ha.

"There's no word on what Apple or Oracle plan to do."

Judging by their past behaviour, they would probably plan to screw us all for as much money as they can get. Pah.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Did anyone read any of the documents.

"Among the revisions, Microsoft will sell back to Attachmate all of the Novell patents it would have bought, but it will continue to receive a license for the use of those patents; EMC won't acquire 33 Novell patents and applications that are related to virtualization software; all of the patents acquired will be subject to the GNU General Public License and the Open Invention Network--open-source and Linux licenses, respectively; CPTN won't have the right to limit which of the patents are available on the Linux license; and CPTN and its owners won't try to infuence or encourage Novell or Attachmate to change which of the patents are available under the Linux license."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

About bloomin' time

Now we can move on and I can get paid on my shares!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Done deal by end of April

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/758004/000119312511104372/d8k.htm

10. Cyfaill
    Linux

Watching the preditory by nature, Watch Microsoft

Microsoft by most knowledgeable accounts is a predatory company. When it can't "win" with authentic innovation ( What authentic aspect of x window system did they actually invent )

Then they win by the espousing the worst example of patentable concepts.

An idea expressed as mathematics and logic initiated by others and then stolen into some perversion of law corrupted by modern intent... instead of what the law was created to do so many years ago. Software patents in the modern sense is a perversion of patent law. They and everyone else know it.

Lawyers feed on this perversion to the detriment of the entire world.

Who but a few of the greediest scum of the earth benefit from this.

What a waste of human effort, tens perhaps hundreds of millions of (name your money) blown completely into nothingness... its not the money that matters its the pure waste of human effort trying to fight this official injustice plague of the modern world..

11. Flybert

excuse me

"Concern was heightened by the fact that the patents being sold have never been made public"

surely you mean 'that WHICH particular patents being sold' because as far as I know, when a patent is granted it is published, including the name of the entity that makes the patent claims

how can the public, or at least those interested, not be able do a search of Novell owned patents and figure out, for the most part, which patents are involved ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like