It's notebook-rollout day for HP. In addition to a new lineup of consumer-level lap-warmers, the world's biggest PC manufacturer has also released a trio of business-class models and inaugurated a pay-as-you-go 3G mobile broadband service. The new ProBook 5330m Notebook PC dispenses with the multicolored Christmas lights of …
Thin screen but....
...have a look where the cables (Display port & power) go - plugged in the left hand side of the screen so that they stick out in a nice highly visible way.
Were the connectors an after thought?
RE: Thin screen but....
Nah, that's because your bosses will buy such thinner, "small footprint" kit so they can make your cubicle smaller! Dilbert has covered this many times before.
sans windows tax version?
thought not. Keep calm and carry on making money.
Ever seen Apple hardware sold without an OS?
I deal with HP as a corporate customer and our pricing is lower than stated here given we have a Microsoft Enterprise agreement. Off the shelf versions will include Windows because thats what 95% of the customers want, and quite frankly, the other 5% can go buy Dell.
It is possible to order them with FreeDOS or SUSE Linux if preferred, they are just not listed as in the quick glance options - probably because most direct customers looking at the front page will want Win7. I guess it can appear a bit misleading but check out the specifications tab, and if you want something non standard just click on the link to start an IM conversation with a sales rep, or get them to call you.
Enterprise clients will handle things via their account teams or channel sales reps to get the custom builds they require.
It just pains me . . .
that you can't (and I mean can not) buy one without paying the tax. I got both SLED10 and XP on previous HP netbooks (both since upgraded to Ubuntu) but I would like the option of £50 (or whatever) off the price please. I have tried in the past but for only one or two machines no dealer will talk sense - as far as they are concerned I am obviously using pirate software. How else could I do it they ask?
Continuing with this forced bundling is in everyones interest except the consumer, who doesn't have a proper choice.
Something is wrong on the internet!
Look at the link below for an example of a discount when configured with no Windows: Select FreeDOS and get a $100 discount - okay so there are some issues that this impacts such as OS Warranty etc: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/MiddleFrame.asp?page=config&ProductLineId=539&FamilyId=3377&BaseId=35568&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=
I can't seem to find a similar setup on the UK pages though, but usability of the website isn't what we are discussing. Sorry for the pedantic follow up, but just wanted to show that bundling isn't always forced.
Pedantry noted (Paul 115) . .
and I stand corrected - these things can be found, they are just very well hidden. Note to self - must try harder.
EliteBooks run Linux
The EliteBooks have run Linux on them really well in the past -especially with the Intel and not the broadcom WLAN chipset; the nvidia graphics works reliably too. One thing that I've never got to work is the WWAN option. I'd recommend skipping that and going to tethering to your phone
- Microsoft: We're hiking UK cloud prices 22%. Stop whining – it's the Brexit
- Despite best efforts, fewer and fewer women are working in tech
- And so we enter day seven of King's College London major IT outage
- Thanks, IoT vendors: your slack attitude will get regulators moving
- AMD is a rounding error on Intel's spreadsheet and that sucks for us all