back to article IT suppliers fear new GP consortia will 'create difficulties'

Suppliers of IT systems to England's NHS may face difficulties in the market if the planned reorganisation causes big differences in requirements, according to the manager responsible for health at one of the largest vendors of government IT. Graham Lay, vice president for government, healthcare and transport at HP Enterprise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

And the first hurdle is ...

and we will work with David Smith (the crown representative working with the company) to help government get a better service from us

Unquote

What will probably happen next is Government appointee will say the system is doing exactly what is required of it but GPs will say it does nothing that GPs require of it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like primary education

this is a technology that only needs getting right once, in one place, for all time, and that's it. How many times will we let marketing pond life convince us that the wheel needs to be locally re-invented again, and again, and again? And that it *naturally* gets more, and more difficult and expensive?

3. Colin Millar
    Grenade

Why blame GP commissioning?

GP commissioning won't make a hoot of difference to the strategy free zone that NHSIT has been for some decades now.

Still - at least when the GPC model utterly fails and we get to where we are really aimed at the IT industry will have some nice insurance companies and accountancy consultants to deal with - should be a bit more comfy for them.

4. Tom 38
    Go

Excellent

The more worried these 'consultants' are about their cozy, easy to extract money from government lifestyles, the better things are getting.

1. jm83

Re: Excellent

When companies like this 'complain' about gov't measures I generally assume it means they are ecstatic over said measures.

Think about when the Banks complained about some of osbournes 'tough' talking.

5. a cynic writes...

I suspect what they're really worried about...

...is GPs might turn out to be harder to bullshit than politicians.

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind

1. Dave Bell

Not so sure

GPs spend a lot of time training to be Doctors, and then have to run a business. But, one or two stories I've heard, they're maybe used to people not being entirely truthful.

The trouble is that the medical training won't help you pick out the untruths surrounding IT.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well boo hoo for HP and their ilk...

It business, baby. Come visit the real UK world.

If a GP Consortium can get a better local service than going to a corporates or corporate representative then it's a wake up call. Get off your arse and start listening to users. Not 'customers' who, in this case are little more than corporate captives.

Really, who does this git think he is, f*****g Moses?!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gravy train runs aground

See what I did there ?

"We're now cranking up the pipeline"

What a genius. I mean genius as in buffoon of course.

(does anyone else think this sounds like a euphemism for masturbation ? Anyone ? Just me then.)

8. Charles Smith

GPs are independent - whoops

I think the HP is saying "the General Practitioners are all independent businesses and they might not follow our official hype line. This will be injurious to our profit."

Sorry matey it is even worse. The GPs are independent partnerships whose primary aim is the increase of their own profit. Central diktats about NHS computer systems may be a comfort factor to the large suppliers, but the GPs will spend the money as they see fit.

Any Volvo salespeople on-line? My GP needs an upgrade.

9. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Aww Diddums

Are sales dpt. going to have to do some _work_?

Shame.

10. Brad Ackerman
    Badgers

Understanding is a three-edged sword: pointy, pointy, pointy

On the one hand, we have a government that's quite fond of constructing massive bonfires of fifty-pound notes. On the other hand, we have the company that brought us Non-Mission-Capable Internet.

When both parties are engaging in a concerted dumb-off, who's the bad guy? We all know who will pick up the tab, of course.

Since there's no Mark Hurd devil avatar, the badgers win by default.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like