back to article Feds break up Chinese-US counterfeit Cisco ring

Federal lawmen have announced success in breaking up a "sophisticated scheme to import and sell counterfeit Cisco-branded computer networking equipment" in the USA, masterminded by a Virginia woman who made millions from the scam. Chun-Yu Zhao, of Centreville in Virginia and Donald H Cone, of Frederick in Maryland, were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Simpson 1
    WTF?

Counterfeit gear or unauthorized upgrades?

"JDC Networking Inc altered Cisco products by using pirated software, and created labels and packaging in order to mislead consumers into believing the products it sold were genuine Cisco products."

So, they performed unauthorized upgrades? Article makes it sound like the hardware was genuine, they just messed with the firmware. Probably still not kosher, and Cisco wouldn't like it, but not exactly selling counterfeit hardware.

1. paulll

Perspective...

It'd be intuitive to describe a Cisco-manufactured box running non-Cisco software as a 'Modified Cisco product'; Given, though, that the bulk of the functionality in most of these kinds of devices is in software, it'd probably be more accurate if much less intuitive so to describe Cisco software running on 3rd-party hardware.

I'd imagine plod are specifying this interpretation so's to give themselves a bigger hammer with which to hit the perps ...

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Joke

They realized it was counterfeit kit...

... because it consistently failed to crash.

KAH PSSSSHHHHHHH!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remarkable

I find it amazing how they can copy Cisco equipment so well.

Just look at these side by side comparisons:

http://www.usedcisco.com/used_cisco_identifying_fake_chisco

This is not your run of the mill factory copying t-shirts or DVDs. I've probably used some myself even without knowing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Except they didn't do this

They just sold entry level cisco kit with enterprise software loaded on it as far as I can tell.

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Cheaper Than...

...knocking off handbags.

5. trarch

Restitution

"assets including two Porsches, one Mercedes, seven bank accounts containing more than $1.6m, and four homes and three condominiums with a total value of more than $2.6m."

I'll eat my hat if a cent of this goes back to the buyers.

6. Charlie 3
    IT Angle

Confused

It would be nice if this article actually explained what they were selling and how. Is this Cisco hardware or not?

"JDC Networking Inc altered Cisco products by using pirated software, and created labels and packaging in order to mislead consumers into believing the products it sold were genuine Cisco products"

What kind of product uses Cisco hardware running Cisco software but is somehow fraudulent? Were they simply adding cheap add-on PCBs to a real chassis?

You seem to have taken a technical story and removed all the technical from it :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

It's simple

they bought entry level kit, loaded it with pirated enterprise software and flogged it as properly licenced for all the extra features.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Climbing the great wall of vajina...

Guess she'll just have to lay back and let the penal system teach her a lesson!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Missing the big point

Will some troll please post a comment implying the Great Firewall was an inside job and we had nothing to do with it ?

Please, we're begging you.

Sincerely,

Cisco

9. Russell Howe
    Flame

The real crime here

is Cisco's prices.

10. John Sanders
    Mushroom

OMG new icons!

I love the mushroom!

Thanks el Reg!

11. Glenn Charles
    Paris Hilton

I am so utterly impressed by our U.S. law enforcement...

Now tell me wtf the point was of all this. But then they won't let you leave the United States without a passport either; maybe the fence was to keep us in.

12. json

Well they have a name for the knock-offs..

.. huawei.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like