back to article UK Channel insolvency rates soar to nine-year high

Insolvency rates in the UK channel are at the highest level seen since the dotcom bubble burst, official figures have confirmed. The UK economy is looking shaky: inflation is rising, government is forging ahead with harsh public sector cuts and High Street retailers are going into meltdown; parts of the channel are also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Miller 1

"Consumers are holding onto their cash" LOLASAURUS

Or rather, the number of consumers is greatly decreased because they have no cash. The government is taking it all in taxes.

Income tax + NI= 33% (for most people) or %45 for those lucky enought to have a good job

VAT: %20

Council Tax: ~ %10 for low wage earners

TV tax: + 140 quid a year, now payable even if you only have a computer and net access

Drinking and smoking: Variable rate but not less than 15%

Fuel: 42% of purchase price

Car Tax: couple of hundred quid minimum (for a proper car)

Anyway I think you can see where I am going with this. Westminster takes the vast majority of everybody's money and pisses it all over the place on idiot contracts with there friends, paying the heads of quangos (more nepotism).

My advice, Run for fucking office and hope to god you can convince the suckers that live here that you really do deserve to take over %80 of their earnings for very poor services in return.

1. Steve Foster

@Brian

"TV tax: + 140 quid a year, now payable even if you only have a computer and net access"

Cite please.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: TV Tax

"TV tax: + 140 quid a year, now payable even if you only have a computer and net access"

This is not true.

You only need to have a TV license if you are receiving (watching or recording) TV programmes WHILE they are being broadcast. You can even watch iPlayer without a license as long as you watch programmes after they are on TV.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Cant really complain about high taxes

The 'government of the people', whose bold soft touch economic principles have surely eradicated boom and bust, unfortunately spent all our money, and most of the money that we have coming in in the future, mostly on placating unions and massaging the unemployment rates by grossly expanding the public sector.

Jobs in the public sector now pay more than jobs in the private sector. That is just not right. A tube driver, whose job entails holding a lever down and not letting go for 35 hours a week, earns more than me, a senior software developer working for a large city firm. He also gets a 75% final salary pension when he retires - this is what our taxes are mainly paying for.

It's time to pay up. It sucks, but we're not Greece or Portugal, we can't just not pay.

Plus your numbers are nonsense - "Council tax: ~ 10%" - 10% of what? It's not 10% of my salary. There is no way you are taking home only 20% of gross.

4. Dave 3
      Go

You tell 'em.

The Adam Smith Institute have a 'tax freedom day' every year. This year tax freedom day was May 30th.

"the first day of the calendar year that Britons stop working for the state and start working for themselves. This year, we've worked for a full 5 months this year to pay their taxes, with every penny earned in the UK between January 1 and May 29 taken by the taxman to support government expenditure."

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/tax-and-economy/tax-freedom-day-2011/

2. Andy Watt
    Thumb Down

Car tax - I call "b0110x"

You can tax a 2.0l diesel for £140 if you pick up an efficient one. Define "decent".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Theres a trick...

Audi S2 Avant 2.2T Quattro here taxed for £140 Trick is, its old enough to be exempt from the paytonotdirveashiteeuroboxwiththeperformanceofaninvalidcariage tax.

In fact this would be why the second hand market for higher powered, pre 52 plate cars is booming. :)

3. Dave 3
    FAIL

Cuts? What cuts?

What 'harsh' public spending cuts are these? Gov't spending has been going up, not down.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/7042223/the-myth-of-cuts.thtml

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like