back to article VMware: We will virtualize entire world in six years

VMware is unquestionably the bellwether of virtualization on the x64 server platform, particularly within corporate data centers that run companies not in the internet business. And among VMware's customer base, the penetration of virtualization is on the rise. Virtualization use is not just expanding in terms of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Congratulations to the Bulgarians

Congratulations to the Bulgarians (including the aptly named VeeP you have quoted).

'cause guess where Vmware does a lot of its Research and Development.

It is not one well known hot and humid subcontinent. It is in Europe and it is where Mr Balkanski and the word Balkanisation comes from - Bulgaria. It is a place where they do not just say NO, they say NO Samuel L Jackson style (with lots of mentioning of close female relatives).

As they say there - Nazdrave... I mamata...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We will virtualize entire world in six years"

Pffft!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/13/vmware_esxi_5_0_analysis/

3. pompurin

VMWare 5 Licensing

Looking at the latest VMware vSphere 5 licensing I think VMware might be losing some customers.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Still don't know what problem virtualization is supposed to solve

...except configuration mess problems that should maybe be solved differently than with a virtual sledgehammer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

@Destroy All Monsters

Oh dear, if you don't understand what problems virtualisation address you probably should leave IT and get a job in another industry. "Do you want fries with that?"

5. talk_is_cheap
    FAIL

Maybe not

If you read the ongoing threads over at vmware's forums about the new pricing you will see people compairing vmware to Novell at the moment.

Not a good long term sign.

6. Eddy Ito

Just 2 points

1 - "the rate of virtualization for SAP suites has made the biggest jump in the past year"... I've used SAP, aptly named but perhaps it was badly configured, anyway I'm guessing that virtualization can't make a noticeable hit and perhaps it would run better. So why not virtualize?

2- The whole world in six years... someone has been drinking the coffee at infinite loop a little too long.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

VMWare going downhill

VMWare is the new Microsoft. Proprietary and singularly focused management tools that are move focused on vendor lock than anything really useful for IT staffs or innovative (read UCS, Nexus 1000v, Vmotion, VMFS). The hidden cost of VMWare will be exposed eventually. Hopefully, their customers will be able to change direction with a shrinking IT budget. Its a shame.

8. Danny 5
    Megaphone

excuse me

but i still don't see what's so "new" about virtualisation. Virtualize the world in 6 years? i could say virtualisation is going to decline to as little as 25% of what it is now and have just as much chance as VMware does at being right.

who's to say CPU capacity isn't going to stall again? like we've seen many times over the years? virtualisation is only viable because CPU strength has grown much faster then other components and application demand, there's a massive surplus in CPU on even the simplest of desktop machines, who's to say that in 6 years applications and hardware components wont have caught up?

Of course these things do make sense from a PR point of view, the company knows full well it's probably going to turn out to be a load of bollocks, but here we all are, debating their call.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like