back to article Misco reaps harvest of rage in Twitter Touchpad debacle

Misco has earned the wrath of the Twitterati after it screwed up an HP Touchpad offer. The unloved fondleslab clones became the hottest gadget since the iPhone 7 almost as soon as HP said it was ditching the devices. Since the announcement, and subsequent massive price cuts, everyone and their dog wants a Touchpad. There's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hey idiots

How many units did you think Misco actually had? I mean come on, nobody was really interested in HP Touchpad when it was fullprice. It's only now it *****MIGHT**** offer the affordable option of being a budget Android tablet one day, people are interested.

I'd be suprised if they had more than 20 units in stock to begin with.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Does it matter?

The people they've allegedly pissed off are the ones who are only interested in bargain-bucket pricing, and those people also tend to be the ones who return goods with made-up faults ("I cleaned it and it no longer works; what do you mean it's not dishwasher proof?")

All in all, I don't think Misco will suffer.

1. Kevil
      FAIL

err... no

Not the case, i have been a long standing customer of misco. I'm not upset that i didnt get one ( thats fully understandable given the demand), i was upset by their handling of it on twitter. "wait for it its coming"... "oh, we've none left" without ever offering the reduction they had promised all day.

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Schmucks

"Disappointed. Called earlier, was told to call back for lower price, now phone not answered and all sold out. Waste of a day!"

It's *sold* *out*. You were too late. Others were quicker than you. Find something else to buy or do and stop wasting everybody's time by complaining. It's your fault.

4. dotdavid
    FAIL

Sold out?

Let me guess... thousands of punters heard of an imminent price drop on Tweeter, and in an effort to beat the rush bought up stock at full price in the hope that Misco would refund them the difference when the price drop came into effect...

I suspect Misco are going to have a lot of returns shortly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

WTF? Marketing men tell fibs?

Right up there with Estate Agents, Personal Injury Lawyers and Bankers in my mind.

6. Guido Esperanto
    Mushroom

/title

this problem wasnt exclusive to Misco.

We tried many companies on Monday, who had "plenty of stock".....only on Tuesday morning when new prices were announced, that miraculously all their stock had gone.

A sales person at Insight stated "the company are likely to do a price drop around 1pm so staff can take advantage of the offer during their lunch break".

I'd wager that company staff obtained the majority. Still some shi$$y jobs need to have some perks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Staff purchases

Insight staff were expressly forbidden from buying any of the touchpads so whoever told you that would have been disappointed yesterday.

AC as I'd like to keep my "Shi$$y" job at Insight.

1. Guido Esperanto
        Facepalm

dang

Shi$$y job just got Shi$$ier.

7. nsld
    FAIL

not the only shysters on the hill

Currys claim to be in stock for in store collection but no stores anywhere have them,

Tesco price matching! at £429 to Argos, stock levels magically 0 even with the inflated costs

Argos out of stock etc etc

Did any of these companies actually have any stock to start with? It was reported HP had a clogged channel of many hundreds of thousands of these items and whoosh, in minutes they had gone across the UK.

Given the number of alternatives being offered by the sites that lure people in I wonder if some regulator shouldnt be taking an interest in these sharp practices, after all, pretending to have an item at a price when you dont isnt legal.

1. David Neil

Argos do have them

But those of us who saw the writing on the wall at the weekend got a reservation in early.

If you're not fast, you're last

2. Ojustaboo

Yep they had stock

Many people reserved full price from Argos and brought on-line from both Argos and Comet, knowing the price was going to drop. Argos had them available to reserve at my local branch as the deal initially went live at Dixons at 6pm a couple of days ago.

Yesterday morning Argos had them online available to buy. People gambled and purchased at full price online. Argos has since said those people will get it at the reduced price (according to a thread on HotUKdeals). They has zero risk of doing this because even though the particular item is excluded from Argos's money back terms, they can return it under the 7 day distance selling rules if they didn't get the cheaper price.

It appears for those people that they were lucky

On HotUKdeals they had a thread listing the companies that had yet to reduce their prices, and times that some were suspecting to be doing so. That's when those companies sold out before the discounts went live.

Many people got more than one reservation at various Argos stores, worried (and legitimately so according to some posts) that when the price went down, staff would but them and would claim computer error etc.

Then there's the many others who claim to have brought 5+ to sell on ebay (there's loads of them on there now) and I have read a post of someone going into Comet only to find a person at the checkout with the last 8 in his basket???

Personally I think a lot of these ebay sellers are in for a shock because while I might spend £115 on a 32GB tablet that might get android in the future, I wouldn't spend much more. Most people are tempted by the sub £100 price of the 16GB version,these people also are unlikely to buy from ebay.

Watching the hysteria unfold was quite amusing though.

Would also be a good way for a company to get their tablet into the market to take on apple. Claim they're shutting down that part of the company, then change their minds and bring out V once a large customer base is established. .

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

"There's talk of porting a version of Android to the slabs to make them more useable."

From the reviews I thought the best thing about the Touchpad was the WebOS software, but the hardware let it down a bit?

I suppose if you want apps, Android might be your only hope, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

HP spin.

WebOS wasn't actually that good, always a sub-par Android, the only people saying otherwise were those with a vested interest in WebOS succeeding. Something that's guaranteed not to happen.

The best outcome would be an Android port, which should be very dooable for Android 2.3 (which the sourcecode is already openly available), but Honeycomb not-so, but ICS Android 4.0 may also be an option at some point.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Erm

Sub-par in terms of feature count yes. But the actual UI was decent and it had other decent ideas like synergy. It's multitasking was simple to use.

Many of the Android "features" are OEM features added to custom interfaces to Android.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I don't exactly know what HTML 5 is,

but isn't it supposed to mean that apps can be wrtitten in HTML 5 and JavaScript, and then installed and run on any compatible device, which supposedly this is, I thought?

9. Anonymous John

Comet

The display one that my local branch refused to sell me yesterday had gone this morning, and another assistant insisted it was only a dummy anyway.

No wonder Comet is making losses.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Some Facts

OK, "The people they've allegedly pissed off" ARE pissed off. And being a top level premier customer that spends over £130K a year with them I'm not exactly one of the "bargain-bucket" demographic. To clarify there were roughly 300 units in total, about 130 of the 32Gig and about 170 of the 16Gig, so slightly more than 20. As of 10am this morning there were still units showing as in stock on Misco's own system, dispite an email from neer the top saying that they had all been sold. This meens that either someone is talking out their are, or someone has sold the units in a manner that circumvents the internal stock management of the company. The price reduction information was not even passed over to the sales team internal, never mind to the punters who were hanging out to buy the product. As of close of play yesterday there was no information given on pricing, as of 9:30am this morhing there was still no infotmation on pricing given, as of 10am this morning all units had apparently been sold, dispite the sales system being locked out of those product codes to the level that the couldn't even be accessed to create a quote never mind a sale, and there was still no information on pricing. So yeah, I'm pissed off, not because I didn't get what I have never had, but because some one high and mighty in Misco has clearly pulled a fast one and screwed over the customers who were waiting for this to go through.

1. grannybiker

Why am I not entitled to be pissed off?

It was actually my 'pissed off' tweet that was quoted. Shame I didn't get one, but that's life. However I trusted Misco to do what they said they were going to do and they cocked up and can't even admit it. They're not a company I would consider buying from in the future (I have previously).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Some Facts"?

AC, your anecdote of calling up Misco differs wildly from what I was told. HP's stock has severely run dry, we're talking rocking-horse-s--t dry. You expected Misco to give a price drop on a product they can't supply? Ah well. I see Amazon UK this evening are facing a massive problem.

AC because, the "£130k" OP is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Knowledge Vs Rumour

You see that’s the problem when you post about something you don’t actually know – you look like a tool.

Firstly it’s not an anecdote: it is a report of actual events, I am AC because I am the CIO of a company I do not want to involve in this mess.

Secondly, I couldn’t give a rats ass what “you heard” I was involved in this and am posting from experience, not some pretentious opinion that my rumour merchants know things better than those that were actually part of the event.

Third, lets clear this up for you of unreliable sources out there: Misco were not implementing the price drop directly, it was an HP decision to shift the units into the marketplace before the official termination of the WebOS platform. How that works is that HP buy back all the stock items from Misco (and other suppliers) and then re-sell them back at a grossly reduced cost price. Misco then revises the price on the resale of the item and makes it’s normal margin on the new lower cost price, making the overall end user price much lower. So for those of you who hadn’t worked it out – Misco wasn’t putting the item on sale – HP was (kind of why the price drop has been so widespread...)

So once again, for those of you who have yet to grasp the crux of the matter – It’s not about not getting the item, it’s about the corruption that made everyone who was told about the sale of these products be left in the lurch. I have yet to see a single person genuinely prove that they have successfully bought one of these from Misco at the reduced price. They were never sold to the public (conjecture), they stuffed their own sales team with conflicting and fabricated information (fact)and they shafted their customers (fact). So it’s not as much what they did, it’s more the way they did it that’s the issue.

11. Dan 55 Silver badge

John Lewis too

Listed them at the new price but out of stock, asked to be notified by e-mail when there was stock and wasn't surprised when I got one today saying it was discontinued. It seems to be the case for most retailers.

I suppose they just find it easier to return everything to the distributor instead of trying to get the discount back off someone up the chain.

Misco deserve a slapping but HP have screwed up royally on this one from start to finish (four short months).

1. Ojustaboo

They really did have them

Again, the problem was the frenzy of people monitoring every shop with any stock.

John Lewis was mentioned numerous times at around 9am yesterday morning with such comments as (this one made up as cant be bothered to search through a 850 page thread on hotukdeals) "John Lewis Norwich has three 16GB and two 32GB in store"

And within 30 mins was usually followed by either "I rushed down there and managed to get a 16GB one" or "I rushed down there but people had beaten me to it"

There were LOTS of people logged into various companies with the full price item in their baskets, hitting the F5 key every few secs for hours waiting for the price to drop. Some managed it,. many didn't.

The amount of people doing that plus the amount of people buying them yesterday first thing at full price knowing the price would drop before delivery (and they are covered by distance selling regs should it not drop) meant that there was simply zero chance of anyone waiting for a stock email to have any chance of getting one saying they had them in stock. Any company that had stock sold out in minutes literally.

An example of the frenzy, just look at this thread

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/palm-pre3-hp-touchpad-16gb-32gb-89-115-from-today-stock-levels-official-thread-p/1000474

which had an up to the minute update of what stock was where in the first post., including a list of all online shops people could find where stock was still full price

12. Grant Wilson
    Flame

Misco screwed up? I don't think so.

Is this really a *news* story? I've looked at Misco_UK's tweets and see nothing untoward...

1) Company selling item.

2) People asking for item to be sold at low price.

3) Company promises to look into it.

4) Item sells out.

5) Some people get angry at them.

I beleive the same thing happened with play.com yesterday, but did you report that El Reg?

The "rage" that's followed is hardly a righteous condemnation. I know the Twitterati can usually be a force for good, combatting evil corporate commercial overlords, but the conspiracy theories put forward by the digital pitchfork-wielding mob are nothing short of ludicrous...

If a product is sold out, it's sold out. Get over it. The daft conspiracy theory that Misco or any other company don't want to sell their stock has no rational explanation at all. Did David Icke come up with this piece? Are you going to pen diatribes against ticketmaster every time they sell out of gig tickets for A-list bands or major festivals?

I was chasing the Touchpad on nine IT resellers yesterday, and I saw Dabs, Equanet and Expansys websites fall down, and they also got a bit of verbal from Twitter followers.

Misco's ebay sales went down the same time it vanished off their website, but your reporter doesn't mention that fact, he chose to mention some inaccurate gossip instead. I won't boycot Misco but then I've never bought a thing of them. I think I will now in an 'anti-boycot' move!

Still don't have a Touchpad, but I am proud not to be part of the tin-foil-hatted nutters ranting at the 'shock' of a very-much-in-demand item being unavailable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You know nothing

Really? It's all just theory to you? Suppose it would be: since you are nothing to do with any of it anyway! Although your amusing, I'll give you that much. From "The daft conspiracy theory that Misco or any other company don't want to sell their stock has no rational explanation at all" to "I won't boycot Misco but then I've never bought a thing of them. I think I will now in an 'anti-boycot' move!" That's priceless!

And why wouldn't Misco want to sell their stock? Hmm, if you knew anything about the distance selling laws it would be kinda obvious.

13. Miss Lincolnshire
    Thumb Down

Not even available on EPP

HP have probably urinated the $1.6bn, spent on Palm, up the wall here. Or lets say £7k per worldwide employee.

Yesterday you could not see them on EPP. This morning there were listed at £106 for a 32GB or £69 for a 16GB version on the EPP site. All a waste of time when HP were out of stock anyway.

So staff get F'all pay rises again as HP try to recoup the loss per unit of over £100, the write off on dev costs of future hardware and potential write off if WebOS doesn't find licencees.

All that and we don't even get first sniff of the bargain.

Mark Turd bought Palm. I hope Leo has a plan and this and the float offf of PSG is a brave decision that makes HP strong rather than the cock up it seems to be right now

14. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Don't Forget Amazon UK

Amazon UK also screwed EVERYONE that placed an order for the 89quid HP Touchpad.

They cancelled every order 2 days later (today).

I'm one of them and I'm beyond furious.

I sat back after having successfully placed my order and though - "right, I can just leave all this madness now 'cause Amazon has me covered".

Then they cancelled all orders. Twitter is full of people complaining about it.

If I'd known that they weren't going to fulfil my order I could have tried Argos or Dabs before they sold out.

Shower of.... #$&*^£$%

15. Waddid
    Thumb Down

Tesco are in this club too

Misco are not the only villains in this saga. Tesco did exactly the same. Two days ago I rang them to see if they would be dropping their prices in line with other retailers and was told that prices on the website are updated at 12am. As a result I stayed up to try and catch this but there was no change. The following morning I checked again and was gob smacked to see that although the prices had not changed they were sold out of all stock! Again I rang Tesco but just got lame excuses that the stock had amazingly been sold at current prices. More like backdoor staff discounts!

Last time I will purchase anything from them. Never should have left you

Did anyone else have this experience?

16. Rob Beard
    Gimp

Insert amusing title here

My wife managed to get one from our local Staples store in Torquay. She said that they had 1 32GB one left (which she got) and 1 16GB one. I tried later on at a couple of places but all had sold out. This was the day after the price cut. She was looking for a tablet and was prepared to pay £400 for one, so she was pretty lucky to snap one up (although she did make the mistake of paying full price for a case at Argos!).

I do wonder if some staff had snapped some of them up and it was a bit of a shame that I didn't get one like many other folks too, but I guess it's just one of those things, sometimes you're lucky (like the times when eTailers screw up pricing and sell TVs for a quid or something) and sometimes you're not.

Maybe eventually some manufacturers will be able to get their tablet pricing down to these sort of levels for a half decent spec tablet (even the cheap Chinese ones don't seem to be too close spec wise). Personally I'll stick with my laptop a bit longer :-)

Rob

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like