back to article Mainframe shops (a little) more optimistic about System z

There are only about 4,000 IBM mainframe shops in the world, but they sure do spend a lot of money. And according to a new survey, they are going to keep on spending it for the foreseeable future. IBM is not the only player with skin in the System z game. BMC Software, which sells provisioning, monitoring, and management …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

[quote]

And according to a new survey, their going to keep on spending it for the foreseeable future.

[/quote]

Perhaps "their" going to invest in an auto-spell and grammar check software?

2. Madoc

4,000 Mainframe Shops?

I have to ask the author, where do you get your information from? It is my belief that the number of M/F shops mentioned is very inaccurate. But, I'm afraid I've come to expect that from the author who seems detrmined to undermine anything about IBM mainframes. The author should stick to airline magazines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4,000 Mainframe Shops?

The author has covered IBM mainframes and mid-range computers for 20 years or more.

Why is it your belief that the number is inaccurate?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: 4,000 Mainframe Shops?

From a Q&A I did with Tom Rosamilia, who runs IBM's Power and mainframe server businesses, relating mostly to the IBM i platform, but touching on the mainframe:

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh050911-story01.html

About halfway down:

Timothy Prickett Morgan: The IBM mainframe is the exact opposite. You have a lot of sites that have a lot of Linux and a lot of MVS. I meant z/OS--I will never get that right.

Tom Rosamilia: On the mainframe side, we have around 4,000 customers worldwide. About a third of them--about 1,300 of them--have Linux somewhere in their enterprise. The vast majority of them have co-location of zOS and Linux on the mainframe. We actually seeing the emergence of a small group right now--around 30--who only have Linux and do not have any z/OS. We call that an Enterprise Linux Server, and it is starting to grow and we are seeing increased interest based on the kind of work that can run there.

2. kiwimuso

@Madoc

Ahhh, I think you misunderstand the concept of belief.

Belief is not the same as facts, so your belief that the numbers of mainframe shops is inaccurate is even less believable than the original statement.

Perhaps some facts to back up both statements might be in order.

3. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: 4,000 Mainframe Shops?

My number came straight from Tom Rosamilia, general manager of System z and Power Systems at IBM.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like