back to article Laptops en route to Europe by rail for first time

The first batch of Acer notebooks sent by rail is set to arrive in Europe in the next two weeks, and the rail-freighting trend may soon be adopted across the PC industry. The Taiwanese giant is starting to build more flexibility into its supply chain in the wake of the inventory pile-up earlier this year that dented profits …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to saddle the horses.

It's time for an old style hold up.. yehaaaa!

AC, 'cause the Sheriff ain't got no sense of humour.

2. Number6

Once Every Two Weeks

I think this is a cryptic way of saying they want to see how many of the original shipment arrive in working condition (or at all) before committing more stock to the route.

3. Rovindi

Methinks we might see an upsurge in Train Robberies in the not too distant future...

1. jonathanb Silver badge

I guess it will still be much safer than sending them round the Horn of Africa.

1. Paul Johnston
        Pirate

Horn of Africa?

Not sure how close you would get to that bit from China.

Also guess Chinese ships might have a fairly robust attitude to pirates a bit like the old Soviet ones were supposed to have.

Basically their merchant ships were rather well armed!

4. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Pirate

I wonder how long it will be before the first train-load is hi-jacked, or stripped bare in a shunting yard?

GJC

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dearth or Glut?

"Silk Road back in bid to avoid seaborne computer glut" shouldn't it be the opposite "... computer dearth" otherwise why would they need a quicker delivery method if they had to much stock!

1. Thecowking
      Happy

Imagine if you will that it's late August, you pile a million laptops (number used as an illustration only) on a boat and send them on their 40 day journey to Europe. You send them at the end of August so they're in stock for the start of the Christmas buying season and distributed within each country in plenty of time.

Suddenly the economy collapses! Your laptops are still on the boats, but now they will have no one to buy them. You've committed too many resources to this year's sales and you're going to face a profit reduction. All over Europe piles of your laptops will linger in shop inventories, unsold and unloved.

If only you'd had another 3 weeks in which to gauge the state of the market! You could have shipped only half as many and kept the rest as parts which you sold on or used in next year's bargain models!

And that's why it's a glut and not a dearth.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Railway across the Kazakh Steppe

Mile after mile (sorry Km after km) od arid semi desert. One track with a 100+ mile section then a passing loop.

There are many places where hijacking a train would be easy. Just stop the train, drive up with a container lifter and pick the container and put in a truck and you are gone. Job done.

Yeah, I worked in Almaty & Astana.

Realy great people but born thieves to a man, woman etc. But they don't steal from their friends.

1. david 12 Silver badge

The Railway across the Kazakh Steppe

Great! Now I've got a trainload of stolen computer gear. In the middle of the Kazahh Steppe.

Huge retail market there, and almost unlimited transport options....

1. Sean Baggaley 1

Not to worry my friend!

I have cousin who work on Trans-Siberian Railway! For just 90000 roubles, he get your container onto next train to west!

Oh! You not have 90000 roubles? No problem! My other cousin have big gun—BORIS!

Now, you just *give* me container and I take care of it! And you... you get to live!

7. Evil Weevil
    Joke

I'd feel sorry for successful Train robbers....

..... as they build up stockpiles of Acer laptops and won't be able to shift them on.

I wonder what Confucius would say....

1. CaptainHook

Confucius says

man with hot laptop gets roasted balls.

8. Nesjo
    WTF?

Don't forget the weather

This isn't new, Fujitsu Siemens did a pilot 3 years back. Also don't forget the weather. The Trans-Siberian line is snowed in for 3 months of the year, maybe 4. How are those lappies gonna cope with -40 c?

1. GrahamT
      Boffin

Have you thought of the weather onboard a ship?

If temperature was an issue, the laptops could be put in a reefer container. These can be used to warm as well as cool cargo. They would have to plug into the train's power supply as the diesel for their GenSets would probably freeze at -40C.

I see this as a stopgap, rather than a regular service, as the capacity of a train is far below that of a ship, and it costs a lot more.

Where does 40 days come from? All our services take 28 days from Kaohsiung to Hamburg. O.K. still twice the train time, but less likely to be delayed by ice/leaves/buffalo, etc. on the line. Also, they still have to be shipped from Taiwan to the mainland to be put on a train, so there is still the time/cost of loading/unloading a ship involved. Add in the fact that ocean rates are rock bottom at present and you wonder how long the rail service will continue.

There are good reasons why most of the world's goods travel by ship.

2. Throatwobbler Mangrove
      Headmaster

not snowed in, just cold

"Snowed in" means cut off due to impenetrable snow. The Trans-Sib doesn't get cut off for months - if it did, it would me a major security and economic problem for the Russian state. It operates throughout winter. It is, however, pretty cold.

Is cold weather that much of a problem for laptop transportation so long as you don't try to use them? Laptops are, presumably, distributed for sale across Russia in winter already.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like