back to article FalconStor founder found dead

ReiJane Huai, the founder and ousted CEO of FalconStor, has been found dead after a suspected suicide. According to Newsday, Huai was taken in an injured state to North Shore University Hospital, in Manhasset, NY, on Monday morning and pronounced dead. The New York Post reported that Huai had shot himself in the chest on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Barr
    FAIL

Probably not the best photo source to use in this article

ReiJane Huai. Photo Both Barrels Communications !!!

2. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

Sad story

Well written up.

3. LPF

Wow

I wonder if the SEC investigation will continue, it will be intresting to see if people made up bogus allegations to get him out of the job, which lead to his subsequent suicide!

4. Scott 26
    Facepalm

oops

Isn't the photo credit a bit off, given the subject matter?

5. devilman

A little unfortunate

...that the source of the photo is a company called 'Both Barrels'.

6. Andy Landy

"Photo Both Barrels Communications"

that is either below the belt, or eerily prescient...

7. jake Silver badge

Suicide is never the answer.

There are always better options. Always. Talk to me (or someone). It works.

That said, down not across (or through, in this case).

Hospital humor is evil, but it gets us thru' the day ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very, very sad

The last sentence was probably the hardest to read. Working hard, being disciplined, and striving for a goal are all good things, but success is not assured and can be very fickle even if you attain it. We need to hold material things lightly - if they go, they go. But our family and loved ones should always be closer to our heart.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

God-bothering (as it is often ridiculed here), would have helped this man to save his own life. Finance-speak is quite often extremely brutal and people are psychologically destroyed by that. In that case, it helps to believe that there are human beings who love you simply because you are a human being - not because of your "results".

1. kosh
      Thumb Down

Yes the man needed counselling and love, but it's a squalid proselytizer indeed that suggests someone's lifetime nadir is the right moment to indoctrinate them in a belief system. Have you considered joining Scientology?

10. CatFunt
    Thumb Down

ARCServe?

I remember using that on Novell in the 1990's and later on NT, I wouldn't call it the best software I ever used, but less buggy than it's successor - BackupExec ( which was (still is?)) buggy as hell.

I would have expected such a genious to do better.

11. Rovindi
    Unhappy

He was an immensly talented guy who will be sorely missed. Damn shame, is all I can say.

RIP

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a self-confessed workaholic and his career was his life."

It's good to be passionate about things in life but it must be tempered else it becomes all consuming and can lead to tragic consequences. A rather tragic end to what appears to have been a full and tech-passionate life.

13. Melanie Winiger

Not the first IT geek to commit suicide. And definitely not the last.

Am approaching 25 years in IT programming and general hacking:

My former manager killed himself whilst implementing job cuts at my old company.

3 staff in a total team of 50 have had "burnouts" aka. Mental Breakdowns in past 15 months as job cuts were implemented.

Are we heading for a Mental Health crisis in Western IT as the job gets less "fun" and more a fight against bean-counters and off-shorers?

I don't think so, but I DO see more staff off work with Mental issues. That's fact,

But it is certainly not as bad as the army. I was reading that more British soldiers have committed suicide post-Falklands War than were killed by the Argentines. I suspect Iraq and Afghanistan aftermaths won't be much different...

14. Tom from the States

We have used ARCserve for well over 15 years and I am about to upgrade to r15. May he rest in peace.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Falconstor's biggest problem was, and likely still is (haven't dealt with them in a while), that they had all of their support in Asia. Anytime you wanted to open a support case, you had to make a call to Asia, and upload a 2GB dump file. To get anywhere it was a 3 day ordeal to even get them basic information. I'm hoping by now that's changed, but it immediately turned most people off from their products.

16. Tom from the States

We have use ARCserve for over 10 years and I am in the process of upgrading to r15. May he rest in peace.

17. Ilgaz

Haven't used more advanced software on modem days

I sure remember Cheyenne / Bit software from their OEM voice modem bundle coming on floppy diskette, windows 3.1 days.

It had amazingly well written advanced voice functions which almost felt like using a full feature digital pbx of today. In fact, losing my temper with Windows built in junk, I tried to find and buy that software hoping at least backwards compatibility would work. That happens in 2002 or so.

So, he was responsible for that acquisition. Rest in peace.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like