back to article RM flogging or axing units in painful shake-up

Education supplier RM - faced with no uplift in market conditions on the horizon - is laying off staff, and flogging or shuttering some of its loss-making subsidiaries. The move plunged its share price by nearly a quarter. The LSE-listed firm today revealed it will axe more than one-fifth of the workforce as it restructures …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Solomon Grundy
    Meh

Education Software

is a joke to begin with. They sell sub-standard wares to the institutions that suck up all our tax dollars. The world will be better off without RM and their like around. Let'em burn.

1. Jess--

Hmmm showing my age here

I last saw RM as the RM nimbus (8086 based as I remember) running on a network with a huuuge 286 server handling storage (or the occasional Link 480z)

the monitors were very nice to convert to analogue rgb on the amiga though (beat the philips monitors hands down)

Honestly though RM had vanished long ago and been replaced with Viglen (who seemed to go though a stretch of supplying to schools) followed by Gateway

1. Gareth Gouldstone

80186, in fact

and built-in networking and a very large 960Mb of user RAM. Oddly enough, it also had a fore-runner of USB in the form of PicoNet, which could daisy-chain peripherals and interfaces off a single RJ45 (i think) serial port.

2. SCH

Yup totally agree ...I worked successfully for a school for 10years as senior tech RM came in 2 years ago ruined everything cut staff to 1 and told me It was possible to improve the service with just me working in a large secondary school ...I'm just on the brink of losing my job ...I fondly look on to their demise ...

3. Bendy
    Alert

Seasonality is part of the Education market

'try to moderate seasonality – 60 per cent of its sales are skewed to the second half of the year'

That would be the school holidays then, when the technical staff actually have time to put in bulk amounts of new equipment.

Good luck with that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's character building!

5. a_been

They are still going!

I remember using there shit at school (as with others, shows my age). Everyone tried to use a BBC including the teachers until we were told that anyone using a RM could do what ever they liked. The point being, to get the POS's to do anything useful was a learning experience. The mania (we could program games) lasted a few weeks before everyone gave up due to the fact the school had been so tight they had only bought 1 set of manuals and then managed to lose them.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

second half of the year?

because during the 6 weeks break schools have no security (caretakers on site are no more) and the kit gets stolen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like