back to article EMC Project Lightning flash cards promised 'this year'

Oracle divulged at OpenWorld that the Project Lightning server flash card is in beta right now, and weighs in at 320GB of capacity in its initial configuration. OpenWorld Gelsinger Lightning EMC's Project Lightning server flash cache This device plugs into a PCI-Express peripheral slot – hopefully a PCI-Express 3.0 slot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

but will I have to take out a Mortgage to buy one?

Frankly, until the price of Flash devices like these drop considerably they will be the preserve of the fanboi.

I looked at one PCI device and on a per GB basis, it was 20% more expensive than a packaged SATA device.

Even the decent sized SATA devices (>250GB) are still beyond the wallet/purse of the average punter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused

Wait, I'm <see title>.

Why did Oracle divulge this EMC product at OOW?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cache schmash

Symmetrix, earlier in its life, was sub-branded ICDA - Integrated Cached Disk Array. The VMAX I'm running now has more RAM configured than the first Symmetrix I experienced had drive capacity..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait...

Can't wait for another competitor to enter the game. The only real contender in this space (I feel) is Fusion IO and their price very much reflects this. They went from zero to hero and fought the hard slog to get where they are but they don't appear to be scared by the others in the market.

EMC joining the fray should hopefully change that and bring the prices down.

I don't believe much in the EMC hype around being to use the Flash card as a storage tier and being able to move data in and out of that tier....I think that's only being highlighted because it's a sole differentiator but until I see some more details I don't see the benefit.

Anyway, EMC's way of winning will be to purely rely on their name - they're already in a huge number of enterprise accounts and they're well known for top notch hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like