back to article HP UK sales hit by PC biz uncertainty

Demand for HP PCs waned in the UK following the disastrous decision to make public its strategic review of the Personal Systems Group, analyst figures reveal. The US tech titan downplayed the potential impact of blundering former CEO Leo Apotheker's poor handling of the situation, but the early signs indicate a resultant loss …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. spicysomtam
    Thumb Down

When your on the top of your game...

why throw in the towel. HP has a reputation for quality and good prices and is the market leading brand. Personally I alternate between HP and Acer PC/laptops, depending on which one appeals to me. Infact out of 11 laptops I have had over the years, they were either HP or Acer, and more of them being HP than Acer. Generally, HP/Compaq have a better build quality than Acer.

We have seen HP make some serious errors of management over the years, and this one is a disaster. Why do these management have such a poor vision of their companies and why are they paid so much?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP

Sadly there are two HP's - the old and the new.

The old one, run by its founders, was outstanding because they shared a vision which worked positively to keep the company in business. It wasn't all about being top dog or making the biggest profits, though those attributes were always chased after. In those halcyon days of 20+ years ago customers actually mattered, and so did employees.

The new version of the company has lost pretty much everything that the earlier company stood for. All that seems to matter today is profit. From what I have seen reported employee and customer loyalty were sold down the river a long time ago, it's all numbers on bottom lines now.

Whilst the Board of Directors always take the flack for this problem, in reality it comes down to the shareholders who demand their pound of flesh, and of course the Board of Directors are held responsible by the shareholders and market value etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would I buy into HP's uncertainty over PC division?

I want a laptop, service is very important in case the speaker fails like the last HP Pavilion laptop I bought. So HP says they may not be around to provide service? Easy decision, go Lenovo ideapad.

4. James Pickett

Company announces that it's abandoning a particular market and then wonders why the market abandons them? You'd think all their MBA's would have anticipated that...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like