back to article Gartner: Acer's glory days may be over

Gartner reckons the inventory debacle at Acer may have permanently cost the vendor its position near the summit of the PC market. According to Q3 worldwide numbers from Gartner, Acer sales into the channel declined 23.2 per cent in a market that grew 3.2 per cent. As a result, the Taiwanese giant remained in fourth spot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned

maybe...

its just that now people realise thie shit breaks after a couple of years.

i used to recommend their stuff as good bang for buck but now i cant as their laptops seem to last 2/3 years then die, while others still keep on strong

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Good looks

The products always looked good and polished but always found they were actually not very good under all the polish, they also tended to die shortly when they went out of warranty so when they reduced it to a one year warranty I tended to go elsewhere

2. JasonW
      Thumb Up

Acer had glory days?

Who knew?

Although my experiece is that 3 years is optimistic in the extreme for Acer. Not counting the ones that were DOA.

3. Aaron Em

Maybe so

but it's still a hell of a lot better than the shit HP is peddling these days.

So they last two or three years? Great! I'll buy up a half-dozen cheap, when they're on clearance, and forget about buying work laptops for the next decade.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep. I'd NEVER sell ACER nor HP consumer grade notebooks and other gear again. Terrible build quality and more importantly, terrible dealer and end customer support when things do go wrong.

Too many brands want to have their cake and eat it. You can't have a distribution channel AND direct online sales (not without price fixing)

2. Silverburn

Apple?

Where does apple fit into all this?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

woot

Just in time for them to go bust prior to the Olympics - who will then be stuck with 11,000 machines for which there is no support.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

I'm available!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or Because....

Their build quality is shit.

5. mike panero

Moral of their story...

Remember Gateway, compaq & all the rest

Has anyone made money REAL money out of these things?

Oh yes, Intel & Microsoft...

The moral is be indispensable

6. Atonnis
    Stop

Erm...

'Gartner reckons the inventory debacle at Acer may have permanently cost the vendor its position near the summit of the PC market.'

Well...Gartner have got it wrong. It's the shite, badly constructed products they make that have caused them to lose business. Acer seemed awesome, as people thought they were going to get the same quality of products for cheaper prices, then they realised after a while that the products were actually cheap-shit that would cost more in the long run having to replace them.

7. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance

Trusty old brick

I'm typing this on my trusty old brick. It's an acer travelmate 240 that is 7 years old.

It gets hot as a frying pan in summer so is kept on a cooler. I replaced the 40GB hd with an 80GB one. Also put in an extra gig of ram. I've run 3D programs on it and rendered the bugger half to death, or so I have tried to do anyway, but to no avail - it's the Kirk Douglas of laptops. It did blow up on me once when I put in 2GB of ram - had to take the battery out to stop the little b***h screaming.

I've run audio sequencers on it too no problem - bit slow obviously. These days I keep it as my 'dirty' machine just for surfing and testing - don't expect it to last another day!

Laptops are a lottery. A common question asked in the audio world is: What Laptop can I get for some fairly serious audio work. A lot of people say 'I've had a Dell'..blah blah blah and others say 'Don't touch Dell whatever you do'. Same goes for Acer and HP. Apart from the fact that 90 percent of modern laptops aren't any good for serious audio work, but that is another matter.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer chances...

8. Tony J Smith

Bradley makes a good point about the problems of relying on anecdotal evidence about a brand. There was, however, a survey done a few years back that found Acer laptops to have a high failure compared with other brands. HP, unsurprisingly, came out worst.

The pdf came be found here:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

Electronista article summarising and discussing the results:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like