back to article Telefonica, Verizon ready VMware schizophones

VMware rules the x86 server virtualization racket, giving physical servers multiple personalities. And now cell phone operators are lining up to support its Mobile Virtual Platform (MVP) hypervisor on smartphones. At the VMworld Europe conference in Copenhagen, Denmark, VMware announced that US cellphone operator Verizon and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bronek Kozicki
    WTF?

hypervisor on a MOBILE PHONE ?!

I thought I would never see that.

2. Ross R
    Thumb Down

Pile of phones

I don't see the idea of a pool of phones for a household working for two reasons:

1) Syncing data. Sure it can be done, but it doesn't come for free.

2) No real advantage. Why would the man of the house want to facilitate his daughter taking the best phone and leaving him with something cheap and pink?

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Pile of phones

In my house, they would all be the same and not pink, and bought in bulk and interchangeable. The idea is to lose the idea of "my phone" which my kids lose all the time, and have "my phone personality" which I could let them load on any phone after they have misplaced theirs. When I find the lost phone--in the couch cushions, wherever--then I can have it be "my phone"

I have a 10-year old and a 12-year old. Believe me, this makes sense in their cases.

1. BorkedAgain
        Go

What tpm said.

This is an extremely interesting idea; I'd be curious to know how it'll work with the physical SIM being lodged in a particular handset, though. Maybe the service provider will supply five handsets and five SIMs which share their combined talktime / data / messaging allowances dynamically.

Ouch. Head hurts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like