back to article Aussies love their lappies

At some point, it seems, we’ll know exactly how many hard-core gamers there are in Australia. That’s because they’ll be the only people still running desktop computers at home. In research released yesterday, the Australian Bureau of Statistics has found that homes with laptops now outnumber homes with desktops. In just three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

They have their uses…

For the typical consumer who simply buys a computer and treats it like a non-upgradeable appliance, there's little difference. Laptops have the benefit of being easily transported. The downside is they cost more to repair and purchase.

For the more technical users, I think it's more than just gamers. I bought my current desktop with the view of it lasting the next 5+ years. (1 down, 4+ to go.) I'm yet to see a 6-core laptop with 2×1TB disk space in mirror RAID on the market.

On the other hand, I do have a laptop … I can take a laptop (or three) on my bicycle to work without any problem (okay, a little sweat), the sight of a full-tower desktop and a 20" Sun GDM5410 bouncing down the road in a bicycle trailer is just a little too heartbreaking to imagine, not to mention hernia inducing.

2. Virtualpete

Tax

so. nothing to do with how the taxman treats laptops and desktops differently when it comes to claiming work expenses or fringe benefits?

3. Neoc

Ya think?

"Queensland (13.2 percent of homes), Western Australia (23.3 percent) and the Northern Territory (44.7 percent) are the country’s leaders in solar energy use."

Quickly - name the three states which form the northern half of Australia and thus get the most sun during the year.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Check the Apple website for why

Macbook air - easy to ship and bypass local channel... +$100 over USD

mac pro - heavy, needs seafreight (which is cheaper but more complicated than airfreight) +$600 over USD

Note, the AUD > USD

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The two major factors for the increase in laptop sales here in Australia:

1. You can now pick up a decent laptop for around $500 (down from $2000 only a few years ago).

2. The ability for families with children to claim the full cost of the laptop as a student expense in the year of purchase (ie the full cost is written off in one go rather than having to "depreciate" it over a number of years).

These two factors will also shorten the upgrade cycle, further increasing the number of laptops in households.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aussies love their lappies!

I must protest, even if this is a British site.

Aussies would never use poofter terminology such as 'lappies'

- Bruce (anon)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like