back to article PC shortages 'inevitable' says Gartner

The channel should be braced for some PC shortages in the run up to Christmas as disk drive production woes caused by the floods in Thailand take effect, Gartner has warned. In an ironic twist – the industry has been awash with stock in the year to date as consumer demand fell off the edge of a cliff – resellers and punters …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ammaross Danan
    Coat

Samsung F4 drives

Samsung's F4 drives are one of the best drives I've used recently. I hope they ramp up production, selling at the current high-water mark, and make a tidy profit providing disks for the demand. Oh the joys of not having to deal with Crapgate drives in consumer PCs....

That said, I think it may be time to invest in an SSD....

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Happy

Conveniently over Christmas...

..thus causing a shortage, driving up the demand and of course the prices too!

The PC market isn't the only side of the business affected by this, the sale/installation of TV HD Recorder devices also spike over the "festive season" and the manufacturers of these products will also be wanting their fair share of the multi terabyte units too.

It seems that the unfortunate circumstances caused by the weather will most certainly benefit disk manufacturers and channel parters too. As for me, well I don't want a PC for Christmas, I want a puppy...

1. Matthew 25
      Joke

Remember

A PC is for life not just for Christmas.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Please can I buy my computer without a hard disk

I used to pull out the pre-installed drive, fit a 7200rpm one and use the old drive as a USB backup dive. Now I pull out the installed drive, fit an SSD and use the old drive as a paper weight. I would much prefer to buy a boxen with no pre-installed hard disks.

As a bonus, no hard disk means no need to pay the Microsoft tax. I am happy to split that cost reduction with the distributor.

4. richard 7

Balance drives already in the Channel?

What bloody drives? Most of us small indies are now on rations with the suppliers that do have drives rationing them and the larger companies buying up all in sight.

Does El Reg have the pictures WD are sending out to customers of the facility?

5. Figgus
    Thumb Up

"selling at the current high-water mark,"

I see what you did there...

6. laycockmark

Stated cost increase a load of crap

The cost of HDD's in New Zealand has escalated beyond 100% (for some) in the past week.

Certainly not all of these are channel replacements as many were in stock - just plain bloody greed - no morals or ethics in any of these businesses. Not unsimilar to the Chinese stopping supply in the rare earths to drive up the prices of everything.

Such a shame we live in such a greedy world!

7. Nights_are_Long
    FAIL

A lesson to hardware manufactures.

This is why they need to spread production AROUND the world and not just have it centred in the far east, a natural disaster takes out most of the supply chain.

8. nichobe
    Joke

640GB 6400k RPM 64MB Buffer?

64 Day delay?

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Did someone say the sky was falling... again?

Do Gartner ever have anything *nice* to say?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like