back to article Disk-over-Ethernet startup trousers another $50m

A year after snagging $25m in venture capital funding Coraid has gone back to the cash well and scooped up another $50m. The VCs think Coraid is going places. Quick recap: Coraid is the networked storage startup using the ATA-over-Ethernet (AoE) protocol, a system simpler than iSCSI but with no cross-industry support and hence …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

doubt they care

I doubt the old school array makers care about Coraid at this point. They probably don't encounter them much at all in the field, maybe 1-2% of the time if Coraid is lucky? People looking at Coraid probably aren't looking to even talk to the old school array makers, and for the most part vise versa too.

I have a friend who is an engineer at Coraid, and sings their praises, it sounds like an interesting project, though for at least my next two virtualization projects we decided to go old school, raw cost at this scale just isn't as great of a factor as other abilities. So I didn't waste my friend's time and have him come in and pitch his stuff (well another reason is his region is 3,000 miles away from my HQ).

From a tech standpoint it certainly seems they have their strong points, but they also seem to have some pretty serious(to me anyways) weak points. It's all about trade offs though and where you assign the most value. So many diverse customers out there..

2. Daniel B.
    Meh

Cost?

iSCSI Targets can be implemented, for free, with Linux and a bog-standard x86 server. Hell, it can even be done with the plug computers, NAS appliances with custom firmware and most ARM hardware running Linux. It is also supported out of the box by most OSes, even the creaky ole winXP. Why would we want AoE at all?

3. Mikel

At a loss

@Daniel B. Agree. iSCSI is standard, supported by every OS, rock solid. This new thing is not.

What do we care if AoE is a "simpler" protocol? Are we worried about how much of a workout the ToE chip on the NIC gets?

4. Hoosier Storage Guy
    WTF?

Still the same

I think I said this the last time there was an article about Coraid. AoE is a solution still searching for a problem.

5. Kubla Cant

Disk-over-Ethernet startup trousers

Are these available in tweed?

This topic is closed for new posts.