back to article Best Buy UK spent £200m on failed megastores

Best Buy's efforts to win over UK consumers were an expensive failure, costing some £200m to set up just 11 big box stores. The stakeholders of the joint venture US retailer Best Buy and the UK's Carphone Warehouse (CPW) yesterday pulled the plug on the business, as investing more capital in the roll-out of another 90 stores …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dotdavid
    Coat

WINNING

"But in a statement sent to El Reg, a triumphant John Browett, boss at the retailer, said: "We are winning in the UK consumer electronics market.""

Er, so you're winning a game all the other players are deserting in their droves. Well done you.

2. Tom 38
    Unhappy

I saw a bunch of very sad looking best buy employees outside Westfield Stratford last night - they did not look particularly happy, to say the least.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

' But in a statement sent to El Reg, a triumphant John Browett, boss at the retailer, said: "We are winning in the UK consumer electronics market." '

Granted a win by default is still a win but a win with no honour.

4. richard 7

Hmm...

'triumphant John Browett, boss at the retailer, said: "We are winning in the UK consumer electronics market."'

Not a defininition of 'winning' I'm familiar with

5. tmTM

So....

When is the big sale scheduled for?

The mercenary little sod in me is eager to cash in on their misfortunes and bag a bargain.

6. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    WTF?

WTF ?

"As a result, Best Buy has paid $1.3bn for CPW's share in the joint venture."

"Taylor said that from "start to finish", the overall investment was "circa £100m each in terms of ourselves and Best Buy that we've sunk into the opportunity"."

That's not a bad return on investment by CPW; £100m in $1.3bn out! Their shareholders should be very happy. As for Best Buy however, WTF?

7. Paul 14
    FAIL

Their main downfall seems to have been massive assumptions about their brand awareness in the UK - yes, people who've lived in the US or are particularly switched on knew about Best Buy, but most of the population drove past the signage thinking "Best Buy? I've no idea what they sell".

1. dotdavid

I had heard of Best Buy, but just saw this joint venture with the Carphone Whorehouse as a Dixons'/PCWorld clone. And frankly, who'd want to clone that business?

If they'd come into the market advertising lower prices or something they might have done better than they did, but I suspect a lot of the markup on these "big box" retailers' wares is to cover the large stores and hundreds of salespeople. So it's probably impossible to reduce margins below their competitors and sell much cheaper anyway.

1. Alan Firminger

The title "Best Buy" does advertise lower prices.

i explored a BB store a month ago. It was not lower prices.

8. ADJB

"Their main downfall seems to have been massive assumptions about their brand awareness in the UK - yes, people who've lived in the US or are particularly switched on knew about Best Buy, but most of the population drove past the signage thinking "Best Buy? I've no idea what they sell"."

Anybody who has lived in the States or knows about Best Buy probably knows they are one of the few firms with a worse reputation for customer service than DSG.

9. Heff
    FAIL

Well, as long as they've learned their lesson

hand over a billion dollars over to shareholders, employ a few hundred people, and then decide its not worth it. but hey, as long as central office is learning a lesson, right?

poor fucking BB Employees, merry christmas :/

10. Badbob

Went shopping for a telly...

I went to Currys, Comet, Best Buy, John Lewis and done some diggin on t'internet.....

Best Buy was the most expensive retailer for the TV I wanted, didn't have it in stock anyway and said they would deliver it to my home in 2-3 weeks.

Currys was cheaper than BB by almost £50 (closely followed by John Lewis) and gave me the TV to take away there and then. Put me off BB on my first visit.

(btw, yes I could probably have found it cheaper than Currys if I had really tried, but I was happy at my £50 saving and sick of shopping)

1. Tom 38
      Thumb Up

John Lewis for tellies

Free delivery and free 5 year warranty normally makes up for the £100 or so that they are undercut by other retailers.

11. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Devil

Would anyone familiar with CPW

Cross the street to go into a "wireless world" unless it was a wet sunday and you were making a distress purchase?

12. Eponymous Bastard

Pyrrhic victory anyone?

Having worked for the bunch of c*#nts known as DSGi (well that was what they were known as a few years ago & there was little choice at the time) I can only hope that this is a Pyrrhic victory. For those of you who don't know what that is or cannot be bothered to Google it, I hope that they have expended so much effort into defending their pathetic retail offering that they are extirpated completely from every high street, website and out of town wasteland in this country and every other country that they have infiltrated. Trouble is the c*#nts at the top won't go hungry but some very loyal, knowledgeable - yes there are some - employees will struggle.

13. Anti-Apple
    FAIL

The real reason they failed was......

I used to work for a Sony Centre and when it was announced that Besy Buy would be opening in Southampton I said to my manager "British public do not like Americans, just watch they will be closed within 2 years". He didn't believe me. Then what do they go and do, advertise on the radio and TV voiced over by an American actor, big mistake. Come on guys all you have to do is change your adverts to a famous british celeb (e.g. Tom Baker) then maybe you will be in with a fighting chance!

14. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Maplin and PC World will be glad.

But if you want good solid unbiased advice, go to Maplin, they're not on commission!

15. xj25vm

No differentiation

As the others pointed out - I went to Best Buy and couldn't tell the difference compared to one of the other big electronic retailers - specially PC World. I was really hoping to at least see some kit you can't buy else where. That doesn't include the silly and overpriced electric bikes and scooters. Also - I didn't spot any prices which seemed attractive in any way. So why would anybody have bothered?

Does it really take a genius to predict that launching a chain of electronics stores, in the middle of a recession, with no edge over the competition, and prices in some cases above the competition - in a market segment which is in steady decline on the high street - is doomed to fail? How dumb to you have to be to throw £200 million at it before realising you don't stand a chance?

Oh - and the staff uniforms were beyond dreadful. Which colour blind moron designed those? Maybe Americans prefer their sales staff dressed in awfully fitting, bland and mismatching colours garments. Who knows.

16. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Where Best Buy failed..

In my opinion..

Best Buy failed for a combination of reasons.

1) Little or no advertising. They assumed (wrongly) that the bulk of the UK population would know them from their US roots..

2) Where they did advertise, they advertised large selections of goods at low prices. What I got whenever I went into the BB on Purley Way in Croydon is an (admittedly) large selection of goods at high prices. John Lewis isn't particularly cheap, but they are just up the road from that store and considerably cheaper for electronic goods. They also have the advantage that they have established a good reputation for after sales service.

What they should have done is what Argos apparently did when they were first launched. They should have had incredibly low prices, and blitzed the country with advertising telling us how cheap they are but how they somehow maintain good service (I know that Argos isn't really a good example of good service).

Then they can do what Argos also did, and having hooked their target customers, raise the prices gradually.

Oh, and launching when we are out of recession might have been a good idea as well.

This topic is closed for new posts.