back to article Fondleslabs homing in on desktops in biz sales

Fondleslabs iPads are now the third-largest revenue line for distributors across Europe as adoption by biz customers lifts off, sales-out numbers from Context reveal. The channel analyst tracks wholesale shipments from distributors to get a more accurate picture of the actual units that biz customers and consumers are buying …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Pah....

...think iPads are the must have Tablet? You are sooo wrong.

Try getting hold of a Vtech Innopad or Leapfrog Leappad for retail price, then you'll know what's really in demand.

1. Dana W
      Flame

Pardon me?

Silly me, I thought the "must have" item was the one people buy the most of. And people think Apple fans are delusional.

1. daveinch

I think the Leappad comment was a tad tongue in cheek.

The kids tablet things are pretty hard to get hold of at the minute!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad is still impressive ... and then there's the future...

The reason is the impression value.

As a web dev, our company has had a few clients who want custom apps they use at trade shows - and there's a growing demand for iPad in this area.

We recently built a bespoke application which can work in on and offline mode and collects data at the trade show stand for interested parties. Very simple app, it's little more than a snazzy form with a map API built in.

However, it looks cool, is currently a unique promo activity and will likely become common place at events of this type.

One area which comes to mind, is surveys at large events - heck, even checking people in and out of events.

It's a no-brainer that tablet devices are going to enter business at an alarming pace in the coming years.

It won't be long before your waiter at a restaurant is sporting a tablet with custom built software.

Hell, you may even get menus on e-ink tech tablets in years to come.

This obviously *is* happening on a very small scale already - as novelty value right now.

The tablet device is perfect for so many business uses - on the spot stock taking when things go a bit pear shaped (obviously stock taking is pretty much computerised already, but it could be augmented with on the spot updates)

Hospitals - an obvious future area for portable touch screen devices - e-ink touch screens whose battery power can last weeks or months.

The list goes on - your delivery guy with his current klunky stylus driven touch screen, will soon be carrying a more modern equivalent. Heck, you'll be able to swipe your payment card on delivery etc. etc. etc. - blah di blah.

This is assuming, of course, that nuclear holocaust doesn't render 90% of the worlds population dead and the rest driving around in souped up bio-diesel vehicles wearing leather chaps and looking dead hard with knives, shotguns and ... tablets.

Failing nuclear holocaust, the EU goes tits up and Dave & George form a 1984 style big-brother society in the UK. The proles will watch X-Factor. The party will all be tethered to touch screen devices constantly playing party political broadcasts and Dave's personal take on religion - hell in other words.

Shit, I better get my coat, far too much strong scrumpy for this time of the evening, best I get home before the thought police get whiff I'm hanging with the proles down the pub on dirty nasty street without my frikking tablet to check into...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like