back to article Now Barracuda bitten by Thai disk drought disaster

The deadly floods that wrecked electronic component factories in Thailand are sending Barracuda disk drive prices rocketing. We're told a 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT priced £171.95 ($274) on 22 September from eBuyer now costs £289.99 ($462), £118.04 ($188) more. Ouch! That's a 68 per cent price rise. A Reg reader says the rate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2TB gone mad

Bought 4 of these (in a Seagate flavour) a few months ago for £58 each, same model is now £155 each!

Yikes! I guess my NAS will be waiting some time for it's new drives.

2. Fuzz

That's nothing

Try a 500GB momentus XT. Before the flood price was around £80, current price £220 that's a 175% increase.

3. LarsG

ONLY A FOOL.....

Would buy one now, recycle or reuse what u have until the price drops.

4. Tom 38
    Joke

Barracudas normally work best underwater in my experience.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Cheaper Drives To Be Had

Look carefully (i.e past the likes of Ebuyer and Dabs) and there are still affordable drives out there. And there are lots of externals which could be "opened" if need be.

Oddly enough the usually overpriced Maplin were looking far cheaper than Ebuyer for 3.5 inch drives last week and their external prices were not bad either. IIRC they had a 2TB external for about 100 sovs which, if you can get it open, is about half the price of a bare drive! Max of 2 per customer mind.

I have enough drives for now having managed to source a couple of cheap Freecom external drives that look like they can be "persuaded" to open

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Alert

@LarsG

Given the current harsh environment within the economy, not buying a companies goods might mean it is not around later.

Given the size of my corp, we buy every quarter to replace PC's and servers on a fixed schedule. As a result of this flood, we are looking at SSD's and hybrid drives as an alternative to platters to get us over the hump. Given that higher pricing on platter HD's those new technologies now make financial sense and are faster.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That 2TB Drive I purchased less than a month ago for £60

is now £160!

And they had tons of them in stock at the time.

Looks like they're taking advantage of the perceived shortage.

8. Rob Daglish

Lappy drives as well...

Bought 3 ST9160412AS in September for 26.80 plus vat each, a single one now is listed at 110 quid... I might wait a while before buying any more...

9. hodma727

I had a chuckle this week - it was half the price to buy an 1TB external hard disk, remove the disk and put it into one of my PC's than to buy a bare hard disk (yes, I wanted it to be internal for decent throughput).

10. Jon H
    Unhappy

That's nothing, try over 260% increase

I bought a 2.5" 320GB 7200rpm Seagate towards the end of October for £34.99 ex VAT from Novatech, less than 2 weeks later it was over £90 and they still had over 50 in stock. That was 262% increase!

They don't seem to list it today but Amazon have the same one also for a bit over £90 ex VAT.

11. Valerion

More tales of woe

Both my brother and my father-in-law have suffered HDD failures in the past few weeks. I got my brother a new 500GB drive for £34. Same drive last week was showing at £90.

12. Captain TickTock
    Unhappy

Analysis piece idea...

I'm sure it's been asked over and over, but I must have missed it.

How did the production of just about all the world's HDD's end up in a flood plain in Thailand?

1. kb
      Paris Hilton

Simple

Cheap labor and lax regulations, the same reason 9 out of the 10 most cancer causing cities are all within a short bus ride from each other in China. In Thailand you had cheap assembly workers, a country with lax regs, and low taxes (and probably plenty of ways to weasel out of paying even those) so you had a "perfect storm" of HDDs companies racing to the bottom and ALL using the same small amount of critical suppliers ina single area!

Paris because even she would have been smart enough not to put all her eggs in one basket!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like