back to article Oracle coughs up $35m owed in unpaid overtime pay

Oracle will cough up $35m to resolve a class-action dispute with 1,725 of its workers in the US over unpaid overtime and meal allowances. The superior court in Alameda County, California last week gave preliminary backing to the settlement, according to Goldstein, Demchak, Baller, Borgen and Dardarian – the legal eagles …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Underpants
    Devil

Hmm. Based on the substantial (negative) change in quality of service we've received for all our Sun kit (all still under pricey enough service contracts) since Oracle took them over, I'm not surprised. (There again, Oracle did *start* their takeover of Sun support services in a manner that indicated their overall strategy, by completely bodging the database import for their existing customers and service contracts, to the extent that we're still getting letters and emails asking us whether we want to renew our support contract for some kit that we don't own and which Oracle believe to be in a different county....)

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Pirate

RE: Captain Underpants

".....we're still getting letters and emails asking us whether we want to renew our support contract for some kit that we don't own...." Yes, but how many other companies have such bills going to their purchasing departments, which don't have a clue as to which servers are where or whether they're alive or decom'd, and simply pay up? How else do you think Hurd gets to his "hundreds and hundreds of thousands of Solaris installs"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If companies want people to work for free they should lobby for the reintroduction of slavery.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not slavery.

At least slaves got meal breaks!

(Joking aside, I think it would be more accurate to say that corporations want to restore us to the status of serfs, not slaves.)

3. Silverburn
    Devil

Hmmm

At least those poor unpaid grunts can sleep easy knowing that Ellison doesn't get paid for overtime either.

Mind you, his annual package is worth almost double the entire unpaid overtime bill, so I'm sure he's not so bothered about a late night every now and then. <rolls eyes>

4. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

I know why!

It was a database error that prevented the overtime payments!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Oracle admits no liability."

So just when DOES any blood-sucking company admit liability?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad Management. Lousy employers

But I guess every one knew that

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like