back to article RIM server upgrade draws Android and iOS into the fold

RIM is reaching out to iOS and Android devices, dragging them into the BlackBerry Enterprise Server fold with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion. Mobile Fusion will sit alongside a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), managing devices running iOS and Android as well as BlackBerry's own PlayBook tablet (once the PlayBook gets a software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    FAIL

Remember Novell

Sounds an awful lot like Novell's attempts to integrate with Windows for security in the late '90s. Worked well for a bit, then Windows got better and Novell became irrelevant. I'm sure there are still hybrid Novell/Windows setups out there, but I doubt there are many new ones being planned.

1. Gordon Fecyk
      Go

RIM faces tough competition in Exchange ActiveSync

That's OK -- RIM won't get too big a foothold as long as Exchange ActiveSync is present on Android and iOS devices. That too supports things like mobile wipe, and it leverages what many enterprises already have -- Exchange Server.

2. Buck
    Thumb Down

Does anyone else see this as an attempt for Blackberry to start monitoring everyone's data? Will these features require emails, txts, etc. to be routed through the server like they are on current Blackberry's? Who knows what kind of government agencies are seeking such information?

1. Jim 48
      Big Brother

Paranoid Much?

If emails are routed through RIM's infrastructure (and I very much doubt it would be as both Apple and Google would not want RIM taking over communication channels on their respective devices) then you can be damn sure it would be encrypted to the same levels as the existing BlackBerry BES devices which _nobody_ (not even RIM) can snoop on. If you are worried about people snooping on your communications then you should be more concerned with your mobile & email service providers!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh dear dear oh dear..

"existing BlackBerry BES devices which _nobody_ (not even RIM) can snoop on"

Hahahaha, you really believe everything they tell you, don't you? That myth was popped when Middle East countries and India stopped them unless they handed over the keys (Middle East because they didn't want the US intercepting traffic, India because it needed internal intercept).

RIM desperately need this myth, because anyone bothering to check BB settings will discover that all roads (and data) lead to RIM services. Can't imagine a better way to set up global intercept - that's also why BBM use is so wonderful. SMS traffic tends to stay local to a nation (thus requires collaboration), whereas BBM nicely exports it. A similar argument goes for WhatsApp and iMessage, although these two at least don't try to pretend they are secure.

Now, what would possibly convince me to use a wholly proprietary service where I can use one that is proprietary, but has at least some cross platform support (ActiveSync)? Nope. Not a chance. Nice try, though.

Keep on dreaming..

1. Daniel B.

Not a myth

The "intercepted" stuff works only for BIS. BES works with a fully-encrypted link down to the BES server, which makes it impossible for RIM to snoop on. Yes, we BIS users are vulnerable, but BES users aren't.

2. MrJP
      Meh

Call me naive...

...but I'd like to think RIMs last bastion in the industry will always be there tight grip on data security, their bread and butter and it's something I think they're yet to give up entirely to any third party organisation whether it be government or law enforcement so far. Let's hope they keep hold...

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Forward planning

I think this is just forward planning. They realise their own handsets and OS are doomed, so are trying to make some cash from the success of Android and iOS.

3. a_been

Seems like a good move by RIM, they need to concentrate on their value added skills, well they probably need to fire most of their board, and concentrate on what they do well. This is a step in the right direction, next drop the tablet, flash and 27 different ways to run apps on there system. Drop Android and concentrate on their keyboard phones, cut down the range so have a few very good models aimed at different markets and then fork Android (yeah i know i said drop it) and merge it with the stuff they do well.

If they can and this is an outfield idea, a merger with B&N would give then a solid content supply. RIM do somethings well but they don't have the cash to take on the Apple/Android "all things to all people Juggernaut". They have to target before expanding. Amazon did that with the kindle and I suspect they and B&N will kick the air out of what is left of the none iPad tablet market. Apple is of course a great example of a down and out company comming back by doing a few things very well.

4. Jonathan White

Jesus. If it's anything liek BES's management interface I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. RIM seem to think 35 tabs on a page is a good piece of UI design.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Unhappy

About $%^&*!@ time...

This should have been done two years ago and of course they wait until after I put in my GOOD for Enterprise order to announce this.

Too little, too late. Innovation means being ahead of the pack, not playing constant catch-up with second rate product.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is inevitable that at some point governments will want back door entry into RIM business servers just as they gained access to BBM. It will start in India, Syria, Iran, etc and move out from there.

Privacy has been degrading for many years and governments being the paranoid entities we all know and love will continue to get their fingers in all the pies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wrong tense in use. This has already happened - that's why govs demand their own crypto keys.

7. Spanners Silver badge
    Facepalm

Aim at foot. Pull trigger...

Appreciators of shiny things will choose iPhone without a question. As soon as we can't use security as an argument, that is the end of it.

8. Colman Lalka
    WTF?

What respectable BOFH would want this?

RIMs integration with enterprise email is shameful and BES is has become a joke. At one time RIM had it nailed down and BES was great, but they forgot to evolve and now they are playing catch up. Exchange 2007/2010 can remotely lock and wipe both IOS and Android (have had to do this a few times). Exchange 2010 can even dictate phone unlock rules. Good has been a great option for a long time and many other companies are developing excellent, cost effective MDMs. Why would anyone want to wait for RIM to catch up?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like