back to article HP plays Violin to whip Itanium beasts into flash frenzy

HP has signed a deal with Violin Memory to flog shared flash memory arrays to its Itanium customers, El Reg has learned. HP produces and sells Itanium-based systems, running HP-UX, OpenVMS and NonStop, through its Business Critical Systems operation to customers who need extreme high-availability, reliability and robustness …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam 61
    Facepalm

Old news

Come on guys this is nothing new HP have had this and are OEMing the Violin products for sale on two platforms

1) the Itanium Blade system and Superdome 2 and 2) the Scale up DL980 G7 that runs Xeon's.

So not sure why Violin won't comment.....

They've been on the HP pricebook at least 2 months

2. Mikel
    Pint

Pitched at Itanium and nonstop

But works fine with plain-vanilla rack servers on Linux too. It'll be a year before HP admits that, but it's true. HP does this sometimes. They tried to pretend their MDS600 didn't work with rack server also for a while. I don't know why. Maybe the R&D teams haven't friended each other on Facebook yet or something.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: Pitched at Itanium and nonstop

"....HP does this sometimes...." I think what you're getting confused over is called lab validation testing. Before a product combo goes out as supportable by hp it has to go through lab testing to make sure it hits the five-nines availability target and doesn't have any bugs missed in development. As hp often likes to get products out to a schedule, they often arrange the lab testing with the must popular/profitable combo of systems first, then work through the rest. I've also had to wait for hp to do validation testing on a combo they didn't rate as a priority, but when it is done it means I can trust the kit to work as advertised. I much prefer this to the method used by other vendors - push it out the door and let the customers find the bugs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder ....

... how long it will be before HP buy Violin?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how long till HP buys Violin?

Have to wait for the transaction limit on PayPal to be lifted......

Not sure HP would buy them, they have HItachi, 3PAR, FusionIO and OCZ/Intel based SSDs. And Storage Essentials (AppIQ) to tie it all together.

What would Violin add to the mix?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like