back to article Samsung brings out superskinny flash drives for ultrabooks

Samsung is shipping mini-Serial ATA interface solid state drives for ultrabooks, the attempt by Intel to spark a Windows equivalent of MacBook Air thin notebooks into being. It has extended its PM830 range of 2Xnm class, 2-bit multi-level cell SSDs, with their 6Gbit/s SATA interface and 128, 256, and 512GB capacity points, by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

they [iSuppli] know nothing

it's happened too often. they missed their estimated data constantly in the area of tablets and mobile as too many others in the industry. whatever, keep on the wishful(?) thinking!

2. trarch
    Thumb Up

AES

Hardware-based encryption certainly sounds interesting. I'm guessing you have to enter the key in the same way as for conventional laptop hard drives.

Would this mean that applications such as TrueCrypt are no longer needed?

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

32GB

Surely I'm not the only one to consider that 32GB as "just a cache" drive is a bit excessive. Must be getting old ;)

1. Goat Jam

I Agree

I have a 40GB SSD and it is more than enough, I keep the bulk of my stuff on a NAS, not some shitty, easily broken/stolen laptop.

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Devil

Quote: Hard disk drives don't have encryption as a matter of course

Actuially quite a lot of the high end 2.5 inch ones do. The problem is that it has to be initialized pre-boot at BIOS level which puts it outside the control of the IT department as they have no tools to mandate it and force its usage in the field.

5. Dazed and Confused
    Facepalm

Who wants a cheaper, better MacBook Air?

Errrrrrrr

anyone who thinks that have a big shiny Apple logo on the back of your screen makes you look like a cock?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like