back to article Doctor Who girl Amy Pond axed in 'heartbreaking' exit

Doctor Who is in the market for a brand new sidekick, as current companions Amy and Rory Pond will leave the show during the next series in a "heartbreaking" fashion. Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Pic: BBC Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Credit: BBC The show's head …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO!!! not the pond...........

1. DF118
      Unhappy

I will be glad to see the back of greetin'-faced numpty Rory, but not as glad as I was to see the, er, back of Karen Gillan every week.

2. Ancient Oracle funkie
    Trollface

"It's heartbreaking" says Karen Gillan, "Who else will pay me a handsome salary for running around in short skirts?"

1. Richard Wharram

I will pay

Me me me !

Hang on. I did post this Anon right ?

Shit, the wife !

2. Eddie 4

me!

I'll pay her handsomely to run around in a short skirt ....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

"I haven't cried this much since Adric died"

1. Dave Harris
      Unhappy

Slightly off topic...

... but I believe I said the same thing when Mr Nigel-Murray was killed in Bones.

2. ThomH

I haven't cried this much since Adric joined the cast.

3. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

"I haven't laughed this much since Adric died"

There, fixed that for you.

(Shame about Pond, though...)

4. daviduk

Which means he's losing his In Laws as well...

5. Stef 4
    Alien

Please please please...

... not another "Donna Noble" Catherine Tate. Couldn't stand her.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wasn't bovvered, personally.

2. Asgard
      Happy

@The next companion

I would love to see a hot female Silurian scientist as the next companion. The writers need to give the next companion a different perspective on the universe.

Plus the Silurians have been shut away for a very long time underground, so they need to be shown more of the universe. Also the Silurians have as much right to be considered earthlings as humans, so to other alien races, the Silurians are just a different kind of earthling, which would be an additional interesting aspect to explore some more.

Plus when they visit the future (on earth), Silurian's wouldn't be out of place and in the past on earth, people would react to Silurian's as if they had seen a demon, which would be interesting to explore them overcoming their prejudices (or failing to) when the Silurian tries to help them. All of that would be more interesting aspects to explore.

I would love to see an inquisitive intelligent Silurian scientist who looks just like Vastra as the next companion. It would be interesting to see the Doctor showing her the wonders of the universe for the first time. :)

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        Facepalm

See that rectangle in the corner, open it and walk through. It's called 'the outside'.

6. Snark
    Unhappy

Nooooooo

You've ruined Christmas now! How does it feel to be the Grinch!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only person who thinks that this show gets far more press than it deserves? If you're 12 then I'm sure its great, but as an adult who's read a lot of proper Sci Fi that doesn't have to rely on cartoon character baddie-of-the-week then I'm afraid for me its all a bit "Meh".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

At the risk of ruining by up/down vote ratio, I have to agree.

Getting rid of Pond and that dork Rory should have been done after a couple of episodes.

Pond is only memorable through sheer persistence of hanging around like a klingon. When she finally goes I will most definitely not be sad.

1. Shakje

Semi-agree

I think that Karen Gillan is one of the few things that's right with Doctor Who (along with Matt Smith), although it's got a hell of a lot better since Russell T Davies left. You just have to look at Torchwood to see how small a fish he really is and how utterly incapable he is of making something which sits in that perfect zone between made-up things and realistic scenarios (my best example being that he has to make something up to find a mole in the FBI instead of just thinking up something plausible or a better plot device), or, for that, good dialogue.

1. Malcom Ryder 1

I liked Torchwood, everything I know about Cardiff I learned from that TV show

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ooooo nooooo

Karen Gillan is the best thing about DW. How many lads have devoted hours to debating the collar/cuffs question ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

collar/cuffs

matching......anon for obvious reason

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now why on earth..

.. would he make that announcement. Why not simply keep quiet, and give everyone the shock of their lives, and keep them talking about Dr Who for years, as happenned with Blakes 7 unexpected ending.

1. Tom 13

Cause this way

he gets weeks and weeks of build up for what will undoubtably be a lousy episode. One of the things I like about the original show is that MOST of the companions survived.

2. Richard Wharram

Or Sapphire and Steel

OK - just me :(

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Because they're afraid no one would otherwise watch the episode ;-)

10. PaulR79

I'll miss Karen but not that guy. He irks me, always has.

1. mamsey

Who?

Waawy the Woman?

11. Alan Bourke

No more microskirted pouting?

Feck.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

True, but with any luck we might actually see some acting from the next companion.

12. French Tickler
    Happy

And about time too - whilst the legs will be a loss, that is about it really......

13. JDX Gold badge

50:50

I like Amy but will be glad to see the back of Rory, who makes the whole thing more clownish.

14. NogginTheNog
    Meh

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Don't make it someone he's going to have a 'thing' with again! God how I hated all that Eleventh Doctor - Rose Tyler romance SHITE!

In my opinion the best companion from the new series has probably been Catherine Tate, for the lack of romantic involvement as much as anything else! Though she did turn out to be a pretty good actress too (I had my misgivings...).

Flameproof undies on.

1. Oliver Mayes

I for one agree with you. The classic companions didn't need to be in love with the Doctor, why do so many of the new companions have to fall for him. (Well OK, it may be understandable to get a bit of a crush on the awesome guy with the sexy ship, but it doesn't need to be their defining characteristic).

Get another few companions in, who can have the adventures and be entertaining without constantly mooning over whether the good Doctor has noticed their new outfit.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

well, maybe not Catherine Tate

whose voice and mannerisms SERIOUSLY grated on my nerves, but I DO agree that a NON-love-interest companion is preferable. Even though all the other Time Lords are long gone, how about another character like Romana or the female incarnation of the Tardis? Pretty, SMART, classy, and NOT a love interest

@Ugotta B. Kiddingme not another Romana, please. Well fair enough if it's somebody like Romana I, but Romana II was the worst companion up to that time. Her bouncy, cutesy little schoolgirl personality really got on my tits. Even more so when she went so far as to wear a school uniform.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

To be fair to Moffat I don't think there was ever any romantic thing with Amy. Yes there was with Rose <FAT COMIC BOOK GUY> Worst assistant ever. </FAT COMIC BOOK GUY>. And there was with Martha (although unreciprocated), certainly not with Donna. With Amy however she is just basically a bit of a slapper. Remember at the beginning she had two boyfriends she couldn't choose between? And she was a slappogram. Then on the eve of her wedding she wanted to shag the doctor but didn't actually want a relationship. And all the flirting with everybody else, you saw the van Gogh episode right? Hell in the Space/Time short thing she was even flirting with herself.

Amy is a slapper, which is I think a refreshing change. In the classic Who assistant's sex lives were generally never even hinted at, or if they had any romantic attachment at all it was as pure as the driven snow. Amy is more like that grey slush we have outside at the moment.

1. EddieD

Aha...

Not quite true - at the end of the series "The Green Death" Jo Grant went off with the hippy Prof to get married, the Doctor presenting her with the blue crystal from Metebelis 3 which they subsequently returned 'cos the Amazonians thought it was an ill omen, giving it back to the 3rd doctor just in time for it to finalise the matrix for the giant spiders leading to the regeneration to the 4th doctor...okay okay okay I'll get my coat

(I seem to remember Sarah Jane staying with the Sailor guy at when she left the 4th doctor, so they did have romantic attachments is all I'm getting at...)

1. Petrea Mitchell
            Boffin

Also...

Susan stayed behind on future Earth because she'd fallen in love (speaking of in-laws), and didn't another of the early companions leave in Greece to become Cressida (of Troilus &)?

Yes I know several assistants left due to romantic attachments, but they were all as pure as the driven. They met somebody, they fell in love and got married. There seldom even any kissing let alone hints of anything stronger.

2. Steve Taylor 3
      Alert

The Doctors Girlfriend

Damn right. One of the things the new incarnation of Dr Who has seriously screwed up is this tiresome crap of having a steamy romance between the Doctor and each new assistant. It was ok with Rose, as it was something different, but that's plenty for a while.

Catherine Tate was a breath of fresh air - mind of her own, and not chasing the Doctor's hot timelord body.

15. Havin_it
    Childcatcher

Amy and Rory Pond?

He took her name? How very modern. <snort>

1. daviduk

The Doctor kept calling him Mr Pond... however their daughter also has a water related surname...

16. Bunker_Monkey
    Coat

ACE?

ACE - That is all........

Mine the one with an old character that should return in the pocket...

1. Richard Wharram

At the risk of my up/down ratio

Ace was a walking cliche, rather too obviously trying to be 'cool'.

It was a national sport at the time to hate Bonnie Langford but because of this people became oblivious to the fact that Mel was a much better character than her successor Ace, and better acted too.

To risk my street cred entirely (I can pretend), if you listen to the Big Finish audios it's obvious who can carry it off alone and who can't.

For a different perspective I would also point out that Peri had better tits and Nyssa had a better arse.

It was a national sport to hate Bonnie Langford because loads of idiots assumed that the was really like the parts she played. They actually thought she was Violet Elizabeth Bott and Lena Marelli. I will never understand why most of the British population seem to be unable to separate actors from the parts they play. Indeed somebody recently told me they didn't watch Hidden because they couldn't stand Gene Hunt. They just couldn't seem to grasp that Glenister wasn't playing Hunt in that series.

2. The Brave Sir Robin
        Coffee/keyboard

Phwoaarrrrr !

Peri !!!!!!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Story Arc

As has been the case in recent series there will be an underlying story arc for the next season where in each episode Amy keeps on seeing the letter P and the numbers 4 and 5 appear on objects.

1. Richard Wharram

Well done

I actually started thinking about that one and wondering what it could mean for a bit there :)

18. Andrew Norton
    Thumb Down

oh dear

after all the time we had to deal with the trout-mouthed cockney fishwife (piper) 2 and a bit years is all we get with someone actually worth watching?

Rose was only around for two full seasons you know (I know it seemed longer). Yes she did pop back occasionally on increasingly ridiculous pretexts, but only two full series. So in the end she will probably have been in fewer episodes than Amy.

Anyhow did anybody else notice that when Rose came back her speech had totally changed? Maybe it was the void, or maybe it was dentistry or botox or something.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.