back to article High Street chains vow to play fair on warranties

UK retailers have offered a number of concessions after the Office of Fair Trading had a word about their extended warranties on electrical goods. Dixons, Comet and Argos have all told the OFT, which was worried about unfair competition, that they will set up a warranty comparison website and provide punters with more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Arthur
    FAIL

Forgive me for being cynical

"the retailers will ........ do mystery shopping exercises to make sure their staff are telling the shoppers the truth."

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

libera tutemet ex inferis.

1. 0laf
        Holmes

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

2. Red Bren
    Mushroom

If this product needs an extended warranty

Perhaps I should buy something else...

3. Derk
    Happy

Not worth it

The vast majority of warranties are utterly useless. Goods have to be fit for purpose and of merchandisable quality. I bought a Sony TV from Amazon, the screen failed 26 months later. Repair shop said it needed a new screen and was not caused by damage or misuse. Amazon offered me an £80 bugger off credit note. Took it up with Trading standards, who sent of letters to Amazon on my behalf (free of charge), Amazon still would not budge. So I told them I was starting a small claims court proceeding against them, with the aid of trading standards. Result? I received a brand new replacement model from Amazon. Trading standards stated that some goods such as expensive TV's, washing machines, must last 5-8 years. All it cost me was £47 for the repair shop to diagnose the fault, and 3 months of letters.

Know your rights! and research your purchase, buy cheap, buy twice!

4. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Caveat Emptor

WTF? These seems to be another case of nanny statism. Unless Dixon's et al are behaving fraudulently or using pressure tactics what they are doing is perfectly fine.

Its the people who are stupid enough to buy these warantees without doing a cost-benefit analysis who have the problem.

This is just a variation on the "filling may be hot" warnings. Duh - no shit sherlock.

1. Luther Blissett

They may be

Intertube rumours have it that UK law incorporates EU Directives stipulating a minimum 2 yr warranty. The problem is it needs a test case. I wonder on whose side some Trading Standards are. Or perhaps they are merely following orders.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extended warranties.

When I used to buy appliances in stores I always asked why they thought my brand new device could fail within x years. By the time their tiny brain had stopped overloading I was in my car.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

It would be nice if at the point of sale they were forced to make consumers aware of the EU manufacturers warranty - 6 years IIRC ?

By aware I mean a banner above the till which can be read from the store car park.

7. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    Coat

Dixons

When asked for a comment, a Dixon's spokesperson looked glazed and said "err.....I don't know...I'll have to ask the manager"

8. A 15
    Unhappy

Something else that bothers me about this warranty culture

This is on a similar line as Derk.

The culture of offering extended warranties implies (subtly) that with no extended warranty, the retailer has no obligation to the customer if the goods break beyond the first year. When I was dealing with trading standards a few years ago, it was clear that the responsibility of the retailers does not end after a year but is very dependant on the type of goods. So a toothbrush, you might expect to last a few months, while a TV could be expected to last multiple years.

Although, in their defence responsibility, does necessarily mean to the extent of a providing a free replacement.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self-insurance.

So, TV, washing machine, stereo, computer, etc. etc. Each with an extended warranty. Thats a lot spent on warranty. Alternatively take that money and put it in a shoe box under the bed (or in a bank account). If a device breaks then open the shoe box and buy a new one. Spread over several devices you're not likely to spend more on replacements than you have in the shoebox.

10. Eradicate all BB entrants

They should bloody ....

.... investigate the usage of the word 'extended'. If I purchase something with a years warranty already and they want to sell me a 3 year extended warranty I want 4 in total (not that I would ever buy a warranty). But they get away with it.

Best bargaining tool you can ever use when returning something is to have the local trading standards number programmed into your phone. Instant refund/replacement before the call connects :D

1. Haku

From what I gather, the Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA) says we have 2 years warranty on goods because we're part of the EU and consumers rights last for 6 years (but doesn't automatically mean a replacement or repair or refund), which means the companies selling 2 year extended warranties are actually conning the uninformed.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/saleofgoodsact

And I totally agree with you on the use of the word extended, if I bought a 2 year exdended warranty it should mean the item is covered for 4 years.

11. Colin Millar

It will never fly

Dixons et al can't do anything that will be effective or they will go bust - they are after all just insurance salesmen with a sideline in overpriced electronics.

12. Citizen Kaned

in fairness...

arent the staff paid extra for the extended warranties? so you cant blame them trying it on.

i never take them out. keep the cash for the next item that breaks or when you want to upgrade

13. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

It's sickening

These are not Warranties.

They are insurance/gambling and many issues in reality covered by Sale of Goods.

They should just be banned from selling . so called "Warranties" or Insurance at all..

14. tony trolle
    Megaphone

Radio Shack in US just as bad now

99cent 5 year warranty on a 8 dollar audio cable. Its going back found better one for $2.50

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get those retailers to disclose the commission they get for selling those Warranties..

I KNOW how much it is and you'd all be staggered. The actual premium that goes to the Insurance company from which they pay all the claims, administration, marketing etc and STILL make large profits on this class of business ....is .....tiny.

Thats the reason I NEVER buy extended warranty.

Anonymous because I still earn my living in the industry.

This topic is closed for new posts.