HP's new G8 servers will sport lots of flash, according to a knowledgeable HP fan. The ProLiant G8 is the successor to the popular G7 servers and will be known as the Gen8 ProLiant. Our information is that it or versions of it will use flash memory to support 50 per cent more transactions and 30 per cent more virtual machines; …
A Good Flash Cache...
...would be the p420i controller (that hopefully supports SATA3) and the DAS stuffed full of 240GB SATA3 SandForce drives (for garbage collection, since TRIM doesn't [yet] work through RAID)..... yum yum.
Why does cache need to be flash? surely flash is a persistent store? Would not ram, or even static ram, be better for caching?
- Windows 10 will now automatically download and install on PCs
- Updated BT broadband is down: Former state monopoly goes TITSUP UK-wide
- BT blames 'faulty router' for mega outage. Did they try turning it off and on again?
- Safe Harbor ripped and replaced with Privacy Shield in last-minute US-Europe deal
- Microsoft buys SwiftKey, Britain's 'stealthiest software startup'