HP's new G8 servers will sport lots of flash, according to a knowledgeable HP fan. The ProLiant G8 is the successor to the popular G7 servers and will be known as the Gen8 ProLiant. Our information is that it or versions of it will use flash memory to support 50 per cent more transactions and 30 per cent more virtual machines; …
A Good Flash Cache...
...would be the p420i controller (that hopefully supports SATA3) and the DAS stuffed full of 240GB SATA3 SandForce drives (for garbage collection, since TRIM doesn't [yet] work through RAID)..... yum yum.
Why does cache need to be flash? surely flash is a persistent store? Would not ram, or even static ram, be better for caching?
- Cisco reps flog Whiptail's Invicta arrays against EMC and Pure
- Canadian taxman says hundreds pierced by Heartbleed SSL skewer
- Fusion-io: Ah, Microsoft. I see there's in-memory in SQL Server 2014... **GERONIMO!**
- What's a right pain in the ASCII for IBM? Its own leech-like hardware biz
- Oracle's Larry Ellison has the MOST MASSIVE PACKAGE IN PUBLIC