HP's new G8 servers will sport lots of flash, according to a knowledgeable HP fan. The ProLiant G8 is the successor to the popular G7 servers and will be known as the Gen8 ProLiant. Our information is that it or versions of it will use flash memory to support 50 per cent more transactions and 30 per cent more virtual machines; …
A Good Flash Cache...
...would be the p420i controller (that hopefully supports SATA3) and the DAS stuffed full of 240GB SATA3 SandForce drives (for garbage collection, since TRIM doesn't [yet] work through RAID)..... yum yum.
Why does cache need to be flash? surely flash is a persistent store? Would not ram, or even static ram, be better for caching?
- Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?
- Updated Microsoft ordered to fix 'excessively intrusive, insecure' Windows 10
- BT customers hit by broadband outage ... again
- Softbank promises stronger ARM: Greater overseas reach and double the UK jobs
- Web meltdown: BT feels heat from angry punters