HP's new G8 servers will sport lots of flash, according to a knowledgeable HP fan. The ProLiant G8 is the successor to the popular G7 servers and will be known as the Gen8 ProLiant. Our information is that it or versions of it will use flash memory to support 50 per cent more transactions and 30 per cent more virtual machines; …
A Good Flash Cache...
...would be the p420i controller (that hopefully supports SATA3) and the DAS stuffed full of 240GB SATA3 SandForce drives (for garbage collection, since TRIM doesn't [yet] work through RAID)..... yum yum.
Why does cache need to be flash? surely flash is a persistent store? Would not ram, or even static ram, be better for caching?
- Scottish independence: Will it really TEAR the HEART from IT firms?
- Why Apple had to craft a pocket-busting 5.5in Plus-sized iPhone 6 (thank LG, Samsung etc)
- NHS grows a NoSQL backbone and rips out its Oracle Spine
- Apple Watch will CONQUER smartwatch world – analysts
- Snowden shouldn't be extradited to US if he testifies about NSA spying, says Swiss gov