back to article Veteran launches storage torpedo among competing startups

The founder and CEO of the second most successful iSCSI array startup, LeftHand Networks1, is trying to do it again. He's chairing the board of another iSCSI startup: Starboard Storage, which is joining the hybrid SSD-HDD array party today. What's wacky about this is that ex-colleagues of his at LeftHand have also started up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. StorageBlokeUK

Switching sides

Surprisingly no one has picked up on the fact that there has been a swing of sides here.... LEFTHAND networks founder is now oon STARBOARD... Surely for consistency it should have been PORT-SIDE Networks?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stick to what you know

Why, oh why do people insist on commenting on what other people's tech does or doesn't do. In most cases - like here when Lee shows his ignorance of how Compellent works - all it does is detracts from the veracity of the comments they make about their own products.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the comparison with Nexenta?

To the folks at the Register 'storage desk': could you please include Nexenta when you interview vendors and ask for their differentiators? The last several storage related posts have all left me waiting on that comparison.

This vendor in particular sounds nearly identical to Nexenta... they cache reads/writes using SSDs in 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch and PCIe form factors and can use either SAS or SAS as the backend for spinning media. They have multi-protocol access, ZFS has no limits on capacity (but there are practical limits as we all know), they support compression, dynamic record block size, replication and do have dedup (unlike this vendor). The only thing i'm unsure of with Nexenta is the FC support.

With all that in mind I haven't seen a differentiator that this new vendor brings to the market. Are they competing only on price/capacity ratio?

I'm not a Nexenta employee or shill... just a guy wondering where's the beef? Perhaps you can do a similar writeup on them? Similarly what about the Oracle/Sun storage appliance that has been running ZFS in enterprises for many years?

4. dssf

In this case, it sounds like the left hand knows what the right hand is doing...

Now, if Port and Starboard converge, they'll probably spawn an "Amidships" sort of entity...

5. SANdy Beach

One would think that Mr. Johns would do some homework..

Recently acquired by HP, 3Par handles mixed workloads quite well, and is one of the major features of 3Par that have it listed as the fastest storage on the planet according to the Storage Performance Counsel..

This topic is closed for new posts.