back to article Katzenberg takes DreamWorks to China

Jeffrey Katzenberg’s DreamWorks Animation is moving into China with ambitious plans to launch an Asian transmedia entertainment operation. The China strategy will see DreamWorks form a joint venture with News Corp affiliate China Media Capital, and invest in Shanghai Media Group and Shanghai Alliance Investment to form the new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 years too late to be the first

"...a first-of-its-kind enterprise to locally conceive, produce and distribute high-quality creative content and family entertainment experiences..."

Not exactly the first westerners to go to China to create entertainment.

Beaten by 5 years at least by American McGee- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spicy_Horse

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Katzenberg is a smart guy, if Dreamworks get hassled about working conditions in China he can point out that only owning a 45% stake puts this out of his control and that you'll have to speak to his partners who are surprise, surprise most likely chinese government backed corporations.

Good of Jeffrey to put a positive spin on things regarding local artists eager to travel and train the chinese though, notice it didn't mention them interested in relocating to China PERMANENTLY. I sure hope that once China Dreamworks is up and running a clever stateside account doesn't come to the likely conclusion that artists, animators and tech people are cheaper in China.

If I was one of those eager Dreamworks employees, I'd be making sure my ticket was a two way one and the training I gave wasn't too good.

Something also tells me that Dreamworks are a little late on all this, the glory days of "'clever" outsourcing are now being viewed by a lot of disgruntled 'out of work' Americans as simply the unpatriotic actions of companies unwilling to support the country that allowed them to flourish in the first place. Think it might need a little more PR than just an handful of employees eager for a company paid working holiday.

This topic is closed for new posts.