back to article WD acquires Hitachi GST for $4.8bn

One year after Western Digital announced it was going to acquire Hitachi GST the deal is done, but only after conditions imposed by three different regulatory agencies have been met. Western Digital (WD) has bought Viviti Technologies, formerly Hitachi GST, for $3.9bn in cash and 25 million WD shares worth $0.9 billion; a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just hope...

WD's hard disk quality doesn't suffer for this.

*cough* deathstar *cough*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I just hope...

The only thing that will suffer is going to be the buyers wallet, did someone say cartel ?

2. Tom 38

Everyone has their hard disk horror stories. I know different admins who will all swear against a different brand of hard disk - "Don't buy IBM/HGST/Samsung/Seagate/WD/Maxtor", delete as appropriate.

You should expect an annual failure rate of about 7% on consumer grade drives, so if you have 100 servers with 4 drives in each, you're going to be replacing a bunch of disks each year.

3. Joe User

The "DeathStar" was a 3.5" drive. Your concern should be directed toward Toshiba's new 3.5" hard drive line.

4. Unicornpiss
      Thumb Down

"I just hope...WD's hard disk quality doesn't suffer for this."

Ha! What quality would that be? We've had more WD drives less than 2 years old fail in the last year than all the rest combined where I work. When a laptop drive is acting up, I can pretty much predict that 4 out of 5 times it will be a WD 'Scorpio' these days when I pull it.

1. Tim Bates

Completely agree with "Unicornpiss" - when we see signs of a failing drive at work, we usually guess WD. When we see a WD drive in a misbehaving computer, we test it (and it's usually the cause). One of the shop owners always tells us off for diagnosing by brand, but 99% of the time it's right.

That said, every brand has it's bad days. How many people swore they'd never trust Seagate after the 1TB firmware issue? And of course there's the Deathstar thing... And then there was Maxtor (who I'm pretty sure Seagate only bought to save us all from the data carnage).

2. Charles Smith

Supremely confident

Tsk, Tsk Anonymous Coward #1. I've always found the WD consumer disks to be extremely relia...

3. b166er

A 'momentous' event?

Possibly not the best adjective to use.

4. {'-,_Ultron6_,-'}
    FAIL

@ Tom 38

7%?! that is utter BS. It may be your experience, but it isnt the failure rate for HDDs.

It reminds me of a very true quote - What do you get if you fill a room full of people with anecdotal evidence? Answer - anecdotal evidence.

1. Tom 38

Re: @ Tom 38

How many disks you got in your servers meighty? I got 14,582.

Still don't trust me? Try another source?

http://storagemojo.com/2007/02/19/googles-disk-failure-experience/

Thank you, come again.

1. {'-,_Ultron6_,-'}
        Stop

Re: @ Tom 38

14.5k in RAID I assume. So not only is your experience based on a very small qty (statistically speaking of course) but they are also only one type of HDD. The world wide market PER QUARTER is circa 170MILLION drives.

If you are getting a 7% failure rate I suggest you speak with the supplier pronto, because like I said before, that isnt the norm.

Are you mishandling your drives? Running too hot? Do you have the incorrect type of drive for your RAID enclosures?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like