back to article Oracle starts peddling Exalytics in-memory appliance

Oracle has begun shipping its Exalytics in-memory appliance, and if you are thinking about using one of these devices, you had better brace yourself for an intense negotiation about deep price cuts, as well as writing a big check to Oracle even after you get a good deal. Exalytics ain't cheap. And that is not necessarily a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bigphil9009

Damn Larry, so close...

The Exalytics appliance has what Oracle CEO Larry Ellison called a "heuristic adaptive in-memory cache."

He could at least have snuck a "logical" after the second word...

1. fch
      Meh

Re: Damn Larry, so close...

He probably said:

Heuristic, Adaptive, In-Memory - Cash!

For him, anyway. Logical.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

I have a cunning plan that makes this cheap kit to own

Having gone thru the ways you can buy this I have concluded that it is easier for everybody in the company to get there name changes to Bruce. As such everybody will be called Bruce and I will only need to purchase one named user access as....everybody is named the same..Bruce.

Back to you Larry.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I have a cunning plan that makes this cheap kit to own

Perfect!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price vs Performance

But will it be worth the price for the performance?

4. Christian Berger

What I wonder

Programmers are fairly cheap, particularly compared to that kind of software. And apparently most of the complexity within the software is caused by it trying to be general purpose, you can run more or less any database on that system.

Now wouldn't it be cheaper to just write a custom in memory database? Many customers will most likely only use it for a single purpose anyhow. Many commonly used programming languages are already quite well at storing structured data in RAM. You'd only need to add routines to read and write from files. Of course this would be hard to apply for any existing system, but when you design new systems it might be cheap to include that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like