back to article Apple scores China store patent wins

Apple has taken another small step towards protecting its intellectual property in China by successfully registering 11 design patents for the iPad display cases on show at its bricks and mortar retail stores, as well as the design for its Shanghai Apple Store. The Hong Kong Intellectual Property Office is reported to have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Confused here...

Are these patents or registered designs? Does Hong Kong recognise (and define) something called a 'design patent'? Does anybody?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Confused here...

It's a registered design, though similar in concept to the US (only?) design patent.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"various combinations of Apple’s differently sized shiny hand-held toys"

Various combinations of Samsungs every size you can think of shiny hand held and pocket bursting toys.

Very poor writing El Reg, a clear attempt at flame baiting. How about some impartiality or are you really that desperate for page views?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's your map of the world, clearly.

I'm pretty opposed to Apple, and I'm really not seeing anything wrong with that sentence. Perhaps you can educate me as to why it's hostile?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Passive aggressive, patronising and juvenile

The only thing the author stopped at was calling them crapple

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Various combinations of Samsungs every size you can think of shiny hand held and pocket bursting toys.

There's a lot of other people's stuff in there too, even the new iPad is only about 40% Samsung.

3. Jeebus

I think from a site that just today undervalued a Samsung laptop by 10% because it isn't a Macbook Air that it isn't fair to accuse them of Anti-Apple when the opposite is clearly, and absolutely the case.

4. Darryl
    WTF?

OK, we can all argue about whether calling an Apple product a shiny toy is a grievous personal insult to you, but I think that the real issue I have with this article is:

They patented a display shelf?

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Trollface

Then can I be the first...

To patent a virtual display shelf that you put objects on using a touchscreen.

Now the circle is complete! Think I just had a lawyergasm!

5. JassMan
    Facepalm

And Apple's next move is...

Patent the "use of roads:streets etc. to access Apple stores". Then sue every other manufacturer with a direct outlet store for infringing the patent, if they happen to have any means for clients to access the store.

Mwahahah.

Hell, they may even get a few bent politicians to create a law allowing them to put toll booths on all roads containing Apple stores because it is everyones duty to pay to see these glorious works of art.

6. mhenriday
    FAIL

«Intellectual property» in display cases ?!!

Wow, Phil, glad to see that you are on the side of the angels here ! Not a word, of course, about such concepts as «prior art» or «obviousness», but rather a convenientlyl nebulous conception of the meaning of the term «intellectual». Looking forward to see more of your «objective» reporting on China, about which you seem to be particularly well informed....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like