The Channel logo

back to article Apple tightens grip on tablet market with iPad 2 and 3 pincer move

Following the launch of Apple’s new iPad the company has been criticised again for the lack of design overhaul, with some arguing this will inhibit sales. But the 7 March actually saw yet another Apple masterstroke – for two reasons. Firstly, while largely unchanged on the outside, the New iPad’s launch focused on the software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

I have an Android tab and smart phone. My "Experience" on both is different because I use one for work and the other when I am home. I WANT them to be different. So enforcing the same set-up across multiple devices might work for the 1984 crowd, but not me.

Lack of control over the devices I OWN is the reason I do not own Apple product, nor shall I ever.

6
14
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Cool story bro.

2
2
Anonymous Coward

Sure

If you have a company car and a personal car, you want their interfaces to be completely different?

Gear shifter on the ceiling, lever for braking, joystick vs. steering wheel, etc.?

Having different experiences with different devices should not be a goal in and of itself.

5
0
Anonymous Coward

its like

fishing with explosives, there's just no escape.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

true

Android does it well there's no disputing that,

BUT

Apple does it better.

0
0
FAIL

Re: Sure

Thats quite a poor analogy.. If I had a company and personal car, their general interface would actually be the same. ie, they have a steering wheel, pedals and gearstick. The iPad and Android tabs both have a touchscreen, some hardware buttons and are used in the same way. There is a difference in the dashboard, ie the software but as I can drive multiple makes of car, I can use multiple brands of tablet without much thought..

Also what you don't seem to realise is that I don't want the same experience from my phone as from a tablet. I have a HTC Desire Z which I've set the Sense overlay to show me everything I need on my phone in widgets. If I had a tablet, it would have a different purpose to my phone and thus would be set up differently to my requirements. As it happens, I have an ultraportable laptop which fulfills my tablet requirements and more.

1
1
Boffin

Re: Sure

The Transformer series from Asus does a good job at providing content-creation capabilities (keyboard dock, microSD reader, USB port, etc). Sporting Android 4, they can get their foot in the door. iOS on the other hand, has a large established userbase, and who would want to dump their $100's spend on usb, hdmi, SDcard, radio tuner, etc dongles and speaker docks? Fortunately, there's less secondary market in the Android space because you don't need to carry around a bag of dongles to get USB, HDMI, or microSD support. You can even hook up your PS3/XBox360 controller and play emulators if you so desired. Apple makes money hand over fist on the iOS ecosystem because people are willing to pay for it, and then get nickle-and-dimed for additional functionality.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

"Lack of control over the devices I OWN is the reason I do not own Apple product, nor shall I ever."

You are like one of those people who wants to pimps your ride - or maybe someone who may want to but never actually does it. Most people are happy to drive a car as it was designed - it's the same with tablets. That's why Apple are taking the market by storm with the iPad.

I want my phone and tablet to work as they were intended - that is why I bought them - I don't want some hodge podge of new user interfaces, different versions. Like most people (I suspect) I want to browse web pages, read / reply to emails, play some games, listen to music and watch iPlayer / films - the iPad does all this 'easily'.

If you want to spend your weekends / time tinkering with your car / tablet - yes buy Android - if you want to get on with your life I'm sure you would be more than happy with an iPhone / iPad.

14
0
Linux

Something in what you say....

If you just want a device that works, never looks any different and is *very* easy to use (and this is where the ipad and iphone win with the masses imho) then buy an ipad. Its not cutting edge anymore (though did change the landscape), its not very customisable but it is very nice to look at and use provided you want to use it within the parameters allowed by apple. My one gripe is they are a ball ache because they are tethered to itunes so much which is (and even most fanbois won't argue here) a crock of shit. The ios device is a device your mom could use pretty much out of the box.

If you want a more customisable and flexible device then an android tablet is probably going to be more up your street. There isn't much available for ipad that isn't for android. [At this point please dont consider any android 2.x tablet as included in this - they were at best ....well...shit - kindle fire the possible exception] Personally, I personally prefer the interface and like the fact I can do with it what I like. I like the fact I can plug a HDMI cable into it and use netflix on my TV, I like the way I can stick a micro sd card in for some more ram rather than trying to bankrupt myself on a 64gb ipad knowing I can't expand it later. I like the way my 32gb xoom cost me £250. £70 quid cheaper than the cheapest ipad. I love the fact I've never, not once, had to connect it to my Mac via a USB cable to put stuff on it through itunes. I'm also not locked into anybody's infrastructure. Not even 'google'. (though tbf I do use gmail etc, but I don't *need* to)

But its each to their own. I personally hope the fight goes on forever, because if either side ever win and wipes out the other, everybody will suffer from the lack of competition!

5
2

Re: Something in what you say....

"There isn't much available for ipad that isn't for android."

that depends what you want to use your tablet for.

The Pro electronic music market seems to be focusing totally on the Ipad with nothing remotely close being available on the Android.

For example

http://moogmusic.com/products/apps/animoog

http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere-ipad.php

http://auriaapp.com/

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/imaschine

and when discussed on the various music forums, things get said along the lines of

"The Apple stuff uses CoreAudio which is a known and reliable low latency supporting protocol. The Android audio protocol is fine for multimedia, but is simply not designed to compete in the low latency department. I have a synth on my phone, the lowest achievable latency is 46ms.I think even regardless of the market perception (where most musicians have Apple stuff) from the developers POV, Google needs to seriously update its audio protocol if it is at all interested to compete in this part of the market"

I own a Galaxy Tablet that I use every single day, I am buying an ipad ONLY because the music apps I want aren't even being considered for the Android.

4
0
Silver badge

Re: Something in what you say....

It's technically not tethered to iTunes any more, thank goodness, though the disconnection isn't immediately as helpful as it could be.

Apps, music, movies, etc can all be bought and consumed directly on the device. The free part of Apple's iCloud service keeps your device, apps and app settings backed up and synchronises them across multiple devices if you want.

Where they haven't eliminated iTunes is in importing music (and, to a lesser extent, movies) from anywhere other than the iTunes Store. If you want to buy MP3s elsewhere you'll need to put them into iTunes at some point. If you opt to subscribe to iTunes Match (US$25/year, I think) then they can sync to your device over the Internet so there's no physical tether — and I guess you needn't technically keep the original file if you don't want to — but that's a relatively minor sop.

I say movies are a problem to a lesser extent because I don't think anybody sells them DRM free so they're less of an issue in practice, and in any case you can import them straight from SD card or USB stick with the camera connector if you want. You have to copy them from the card/stick to the device before you can play them so this explicitly isn't a completely satisfying way to circumvent Apple's desire that all storage be internal.

Photos similarly can go in via USB or SD card, and most people with photos they want to import probably start from having an SD card so I'm willing to give Apple full credit there.

Me? I've paid for iTunes Match because I have a Mac and therefore a copy of iTunes that doesn't gunk my whole system up to hand, and like you I don't really want my tablet to be dependant on a tether.

1
0
Anonymous Coward

Form a corporate / support point of view - Apple wins hands down.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

"Its not cutting edge anymore"

Oh but it is - there is no other tablet 'today' to touch the new iPad and the fact that there are a few almost as good as the iPad 2 (meaning when you take the hardware and OS and apps into account) is just testament to how good others are at copying it.

Now Apple have dropped about 20% off the iPad 2 I can see no reason for buying a Xoom etc.

7
1
Silver badge

I can

I don't like iOS's interface at all. Maybe if they updated it...

1
1
Anonymous Coward

irony

Oh the irony of someone having a pop at Apple then talking about the '1984 crowd' then saying he has an Android tablet and Smart Phone....

I bet Google knows him better than he knows himself

11
0
Anonymous Coward

Xoom 2 price has just dropped on Amazon to 'surprise, surprise' the same price as an iPad 2 - still would not buy the Xoom 2 even at the same price as it's just not as good / easy to use. The wider screen is marginally nicer for movies but the iPad is better for viewing documents / web pages.

2
0
Anonymous Coward

"I like the fact I can plug a HDMI cable into it"

Apple sell a dock connector to HDMI cable adapter - so no big deal. Perhaps a few Android tablets have HDMI out as standard but many also need adapters - my friends Xoom 2 needs an adapter.

If you have Apple stuff already then most of your media will already be in iTunes and if you have an Apple TV you will have Airplay - so it's a much easier experience. Put it this way your gran / kids could use an iPad right away - mine did - I've used Android and it's just not the same ease.

2
1
Anonymous Coward

HDMI

I like that you can plug an HDMI cable into it /and it works/.

1
1
Anonymous Coward

Re: HDMI

What phone/tablet has a *full size* HDMI port, and how many people have those mini-HDMI to HDMI cables handy?

In most cases, to connect their devices to their TVs, people will need to buy a special adapter or cable so I don't see much difference between the platforms.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

Really?

"Broadly, iPad apps until now have largely been consumption-orientated: "

Er, there have been content creation apps on the iPad almost since it first launched. Have you seen the work that David Hockney, to cite one example, has been producing on his iPad. I first read about his use in November 2010.

There surely are people who only iPad's it for consumption, I'd love to see your evidence for the assertion that that is what most people do.

2
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Yes, I designed my new bathroom layout on my iPad1 (which I bought refurb cheap fairly soon after the iPad2 came out)

I was going to buy an iPad2 refurb cheap when the New iPad came out, but it's not gone down very much! - I may well - as the article said - skip 2 and go straight to 3.

I was a happy nexus one owner and android app hobbyist, I bought a couple of asus android tablets for work playing - but haven't bothered to initialise/configure/use them yet!

Whilst we're on the Channel'Reg webforum, I might mention that we're having a mega presentation at work next month by Apple Corporate (my company has 50k employees and we're going to simulcast their pitch to five conference rooms across the EU)

they hope to inform us about:

> • Introduction to iPhone and iPad in Business

> • Integration

> • Exchange

> • ActiveSync

> • Standard Protocols

> • Intranet Access (VPN, Wi-Fi, APN)

> • Security

> • Deployment

> • iTunes in Enterprise

> • Device Configuration

> • Over-the-Air Enrolment

> • Mobile Device Management

> • App Development

> • Overview

> • Wireless App Distribution

> • Wrap up

> • Q&A

so I guess a certain fruit company still is going for it!

5
0

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Pretty Much

What I said at the launch of the New iPad

Other Manufacturers couldn't compete with the iPad2 when it was new. It's extremely unlikely they can compete with the new iPad and the the 2 now.

I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. Anything that will drive drive further innovation.

(Just an aside, it was quite possible to do other things than 'consume media' on an iPad since the first version)

4
0
Anonymous Coward

I had an Android handset from a telco - could never get updates - then they dropped it and it's not sitting in a drawer = junk. My other phone (a now ageing iPhone 3GS) is still going strong - running the latest software and still supported. My wife has an iPhone 4 and guess what they work in the same way and are BETTER for it.

2
0
Anonymous Coward

Just upgraded from a 3GS to a 4S - absolute doodle to do - new phone but works just like the old one did - nothing new to learn. I don't understand why people want to make their lives harder than they need to be - I just want to a phone to make calls, send texts and emails, browse some web pages and play a few games etc.

I don't feel the need to re-ROM it, jailbreak it, tinker or brick it - the fragmentation is going to hurt Android long term - the only thing it competes on (for the vast majority of people) is price and with older models of iPhone / iPad coming in at lower prices that could also change.

4
0
Silver badge

I'm curious

If you only want to "make calls, send texts and emails, browse some web pages and play a few games etc." and you want your new phone to look and act exactly the same as your old phone, why did you upgrade your 3GS to a 4S?

Seems like there's no reason to upgrade. A lot of the other commentards have been harping about how their 3GS has the latest OS and everything.

I keep seeing comments like this explaining why people upgraded their iPhone/iPad/iPod, but all the reasoning given supports keeping the old one and saving a bunch of cash.

3
1
Silver badge

Re: I'm curious

3GS has a crap camera and is pretty slow - faster than the 3G, but that was super slow. The 4S is pretty quick, and has a much nicer camera.

I also don't understand the people who upgrade as soon as it is out. It's much better to just skip a cycle, eg I went 3G -> 4 -> 5 (probably, depends how happy I still am with the 4), and I've still got my 1G iPad, can't decide whether to go for the 3G iPad, might skip two cycles there.

3
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm curious

Re: why upgrade from the 3GS to the 4S, are you kidding? Retina display makes a HUGE difference, plus it's way faster, plus more memory, plus the front camera, plus a much much better rear camera.

Apple gets criticized for not changing its products' appearance or interface enough between versions but why do people need products that always look and work differently when they could simply upgrade to have superior hardware and extra features?

2
0
Anonymous Coward

> Other Manufacturers couldn't compete with the iPad2 when it was new. It's extremely unlikely they can compete with the new iPad and the the 2 now.

True. There were some half decent Android 'pads' but none offered the same overall experience as the iPad 2 and now there is nothing to touch the new iPad. They struggled to match the iPad 2 for price / features - now the new iPad is the same price for much more and the old iPad is 20% cheaper it's going to be even harder.

I'm all for competition but I'm actually more interested to see what Microsoft can do (and the mistakes Android has made that they can learn from).

1
0
Bronze badge

Lack of real information from a UK view

I can see why this article was written but it has a distinctly American feel about it even though all prices are listed in GBP. Why do I say that? The Kindle Fire is mentioned as £199 when there is no such tablet available and as much as Apple may think £329 is a good deal compared to £399, it isn't. If you look around now you can find some of the first generation Android Honeycomb tablets (most updated to ICS) for £250 - 300 such as the Xoom for £280 online.

The two markets are also pretty different. With Apple you know what you're going to get more or less. A nice looking UI that works well but is limited by Apple to what they see fit which means short of jailbreaking you can only run apps from their app store. With Android (oft updated? Oh please.. they're released as often as iOS updates now at around once a year for major updates) you get an improving OS that you can tinker with, customise and set up in a way you really like. Apple charge a premium for their products but with tablets they're showing just how ridiculous other manufacturers are by thinking they can charge more for, in most cases, less useful devices.

To put this in perspective I own three Android phones, love Android, own an Advent Vega with ICS on it but I went out and bought the new iPad. Why? As others have said, an Android device is good and you can look at it like a project to get it working how you want etc but I just wanted something simple and with as little hassle as possible. Granted, Android has this too but as much as I love Android in general I can't argue that iOS is still the more polished experience overall.

3
0

Re: Lack of real information from a UK view

True.

After 6 months of waiting for Orange to even acknowledge Gingerbread existed (as far as I know, they still haven't, haven't bothered checking recently), I ended up rooting and putting 3rd party Overcome ROM on my tablet.

1
0
Anonymous Coward

"Xoom for £280 online."

Maybe you can - but a Xoom 2 (which is nearer to an iPad 2) is the same price as an iPad 2 and that is only after they just dropped the price to match it.

Plus when you compare the OS (assuming you don't want to tinker / re-ROM) and service there is no comparison.

2
0
Bronze badge

I didn't mention the Xoom 2 because it's, frankly, no big change over the original. I'm talking specifically in terms of Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, screen size etc. The top option for Android is probably the ASUS Transformer Prime but ASUS shot themselves in the foot by refusing to sell the lower capacity model or allowing the keyboard dock to be an optional extra.

I was considering the Prime when the new iPad was announced but I don't want to pay £500 for a tablet that offers similar to what I already have, albeit with a nicer screen and longer battery life. Quad-core may do more in the end but for the time being I was more than happy with the Tegra 2 tablet I had. Comparing the feeling of slight upgrade with a £100 difference I wasn't prepared to pay it. ASUS is harming itself with dumb moves like this because I would have happily bought a 16GB model for £300, maybe even £350.

1
0
Anonymous Coward

"After 6 months of waiting for Orange to even acknowledge Gingerbread existed (as far as I know, they still haven't, haven't bothered checking recently), I ended up rooting and putting 3rd party Overcome ROM on my tablet."

That is exactly the problem and most people do not know how to ROM or would not want the bother. My 4+ year old iPhone 3GS still works fine and is supported and is running iOS 5.1.

Android probably sell a lot more handsets partly on price and partly on the built in obsolescence after 12-18 months as telcos or manufacturers move on and drop it. My iPhone has worked out a lot cheaper to own than replacing a similar spec Android handset twice.

2
0

I know what you're saying, and agree with the principle, but...

...4+ year old 3GS? It was released in June 2009, 2 years and 9 months ago.

0
0
Bronze badge

I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

nearly singular design.

Were I to do so, I'd thoroughly hate myself for becoming a damned drone. I am sick and tired of seeing the damned same phone every other set of seats I pass on transit. In a 60+ seat car, I might count 20-25 phones, and SEE at least 15 iphones. They're easy to spot, and only the multitude of protective cases offers any real opportunity to "differentiate" oneself from other iPhoners.

If Android were on only ONE model of phone, I'd try to steer clear of them, too. Fortunately, phone makes and models in the NON-Apple world change.

My rant is not about inherent security, jailbreaking, rooting, or privacy. It is about stylishness and design diversity. I'd swear some boffin or story writer picked up on my and others comments in the past few months on this very matter. My next phone likely won't be HTC, but Galaxy because I want Korean bits natively in the phone, with English as the 2nd, not primary interface. But, I also want more screen, and I want a phone that will be in limited runs, not cranked out like potato chips, cookies, and canned carrots. Same with cars: if EVERYbody and their granny drove my favorite car, I'd probably switch cars just to not be another drone.

Apple needs to spend some of that flush billions on new styles of phones to show that it STILL CAN design what people want. But, I suspect they are afraid to fail, and since the two iPhone styles are still drawing in drones, they have no incentive to change it, other than increase the phone size to the 4.6" that is being reported. Even 2 years ago, i ranted that the iPhone WOULD HAVE TO increase in size if any reason to accommodate giant men and women who look ravingly stupid pecking along on some tiny gadget. Duration typing has got to be rough on percentile outliers. Besides, even without height and hand size percentile comparisons, compare the 2 iPhones to the ever-increasing sizes of Android phones. Pundits and even Apple (IIRC) said from on high that HTC and Samsung and Motorola smart phones were WAY TOO BIG, pushing the envelope. Well, people are able to get them into their purses, wallets, breast pockets, jeans pockets, and even just carry and use them. So much for pundit andn Apple proclamations. Apple has to relent. And, no, it is not primarily or JUST about making more room for upcoming chips. Apple, I dare say, is responding to "size matters". Retina means NOTHING when 10s of millions of drones can look over and see non-Apple phones with relatively gigantic screens displaying more than good enough images and text. After all, how good does text NNEED to be? It's always improving anyway, so, a big phone short of a 5" phone will keep forcing Apple to relent ti "size matters".

1
5

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

What decade are you in? It's been years since the style of a phone mattered, even Jonny Ive would admit that his job is now to provide the best platform for the consumption of content. That means simple clean lines and a vibrant display. Of course he still wants to get a bit of design in so you end up with a glass back - I guess it at least differentiates it from any other android clone.

Look at modern LCD monitors for a slightly more established example where the style of the device is basically dictated by the product. The most stylish of monitors are the ones where there's the least opportunity for "style" i.e. bezel and plastic - that's the point!

3
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

I'm willing to bet that most of the things you're currently wearing, the car you're driving, and the computer you're using (or at least the parts inside) were all mass-produced.

If the phone that you use is your outlet for your individuality then you are leading an extremely shallow life.

0
0

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

There's some truth in this-I remember the joys of litestep-but apple have won here. And there's always rooting and you'll have a custom phone that's still better than android.

0
0
Meh

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

@dssf

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

So, first we were told we were all sheep, only buying iPhones as a fashion accessory, and that we need Android. NOW you are trying to say you buy Android because an iPhone does not make you look distinctive on mass transit? And that Android makes you stand out in a crowd.

Seems the shoe is on the other foot...........

I think the fact that Apple keeps using a consistent design for the physical product "keeping updates mostly limited to internals, software and performance says a great deal. Where Android manufacturers seem determined to find new ways to make sure everyone is looking at the case instead of whats in it, shows who the real fashion sheep are.

When Android phone manufacturers are more concerned with end users getting consistent and reliable updates and interface, rather than trying to stretch phones into pocket tablets, so people can see how cool you are, we can get back to who the fashion victims are. "Look at him, his phone is HUGE!"

4
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

Fine. You'd never buy one. Thanks for sharing that.

But you're still being a drone, just one that defines itself by doing the opposite of the other 50% of drones.

0
0
Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

You're missing the point... (And, my response is to the abusive, knee-jerk responders who down-mod someone based on the person's personal position rather than consider the person's feelings about choice/preference...)

When I buy shirts or pants, they rarely have labels. So, a plain white shirt or a green one being one of a millions copies is not the point. I expressly don't buy clothing with makers' labels emblazoned on them. If they cannot differentiate their goods sufficiently, that is not my problem.

A laptop, that's different. Each one is made in limited runs. And, they change in months, if not weeks, with features that may be GONE or a sales price that may EVAPORATE if not bought soon. There are not 5 million identical models of my chosen laptops. They all have some limited increments, partly due to technology advancing daily, partly due to marketing. Some are recognizable despite minor changes, but at least they are changed. What does Apple do with iPhones and iPads re visual appearances?? Would most laptop makers crank out the very same case and argue that the innards are what matter? If they did, their sales might plummet.

With the iPhone, it changes in appearance only once a year or two. Cars, laptops, mp3 players, LCDs, desktops, blenders, battery-powered drills, autos, and more change in weeks or every 6 months. iPhones? Apple is too successful and artsy with great talent to fuse tech with beauty, but is drunk on its own 3 successful models, milking them bone dry. If they don't offer up new simultaneous models, then they INVITED and deserve assertions that they are stagnating in design. They are forfeiting the chance to be subject to consumer scrutiny beyond a solitary style change every 18 months or so. They're being uuber cautious, maybe needlessly too cautious.

But, as for a phone, one would have to be an absolute moron to suggest I ignore the sheer multitude of a given model in the hands of millions of drones (doesn't matter whether it's Sony, Sanyo, Apple, Nokia, or HTC or Samsung). When I bought every model, I considered what I wanted in a phone, how it fit in my hand, whether it was likely easy to slip from my hand, how scratch resistant it was, how shitty or ugly the power charger looked or how bulky it was, and how removable the battery and (later) the data card was. THEN, in the final consideration, I asked myself "How many others are whipping this model out?"

WTF should I willingly purchase any phone model that is in the bazillions? As for a car, I don't have one. But, I've owned a silver Honda Civic, a metallic blue Acura Integra, a forest-green Honda CRV, and a similarly green Nissan Altima, and in two cases, where I outright purchased the vehicles new, I picked colors I saw very few of. In the case of the Altima, I ditched the gaudy/gang-attracting rims and replaced them with the more staid set the owner sold me with the car (he had 1 set on the car and 2 separate sets of differing styles).

How fracking DARE anyone downmod me for making a personal choice. I buy goods, but goods come in variety. They are varied because makers have a motivation to vary them. People want variety. WhyTF can I not have a free will to have variety, express it, and defend it without insensitive people jumping in like juveniles without truly using their brains? I don't expect Oreo cookies to be varied in color and shape. Lucky Charms? Fine as they are. Froot Loops? Fine. Big Macs? Don't assume I want BMs to be sold square or star-shaped. Dockers? Most I don't like, unless they fit well, since I don't like gaudy, baggy clothing. Jackets? I flip through every last damned jacket on a display before settling on one by color, fit, and number of times I have seen it on a transit vehicle. In some cases, I do buy one that I have seen and like, but is not going to be one that I see in the dozens every day in my walking and riding. If that hurts the big labels, TOUGH.

As for "extremely shallow life"... Is that what readers are thinking of me? I have a phone because it is a useful device. But, if I'm going to be looking at my phone all day, I don't want regrets. There are plenty of Android phones i WILL NOT pay for nor use if won -- just because some of them are not my style. It's not as if I'm a cop or soldier or paramedic who has to work with equipment as it is issued. I make a PURCHASE, and we all as consumers have a right to choose from the available variety, do we not?

I really feel that pissed off apple and android fans got pointlessly polarized over my comments. Unfortunately, for them, I am unwilling to embrace the concept of BUYING an Apple phone. I've previously stated in other threads that the damned phone IS kewl looking it IS attractive. I simultaneously love the looks, but not the size. I admire the loyalty, but loathe the obsequiousness it garners. But, they (the virulent ones, that is, not the utilitarian ones) cannot accept that I won't BUY one. Would they marry or date someone who has an identical appearance? Imagine holding hands with your throb, only to every other block seeing 825 duplicates of the "model" of your wife or girlfriend or boyfriend. Imagine that. Then, reflect on my comment about phones' appearances, especially if your car or house are under orders to be repainted to be identical to dozens of surrounding neighborhoods.

Once again, Apple has deep enough pockets to sell alternative, attractive models. Wait til the 4.5" or so model comes out. Care to guess how many iPhone 4/4S users will ditch their current model for more display, despite their idol saying the phone was perfect as it was?

Sheesh,

Oh, and yes, THIS down-mod is (IIRC) my first EVER downmod in any kind of forum. I'm sick to death of assholes who do drive-by downmods when the content they're downmodding was about someone's PERSONAL choice, rather than a threat or outlandish position. My position is I choose to be different when available choices permit me to be different. Yet, hostile opponents construe my position into my being some sort of no-life hermit.

0
2
Anonymous Coward

Re: I would NEVER buy a product that is so massively produced in quantity and of ONE

I think you need to calm down.

0
0
Silver badge
Big Brother

If

I don't have full control of a device and I cannot block advertising or decide myself what data it transmits then It doesn't matter who makes it, I don't want it. I am certainty not going to bend over and relax for Apple, Google or Microsoft.

Apple kit is great for those who don't care about what information is transmitted in the background, those who want an easy to use, reliable and consistent yet controlled experience.

Apple kit is pretty cool, there is no doubt about that. However, an over priced device with no root access is an anathema to me.

1
4

Re: If

a) Don't use free apps (and the internet if you're that serious...)

b) Say no to the appropriate prompts and relax knowing that Apple will inevitably get caught out for monitoring what you do without asking, while "generic brilliant linux build for phones" will have goodness know what code buried in their somewhere (and in the apps for that platform).

c) Make up some credentials and use it on PAYG then you can be happily continue anonomously with your plan to overthrow the government/Monarchy/Apple/Google/Capitalism/Humanity/etc.

4
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: If

Didn't most Android phones have Carrier IQ installed on them, which relayed almost every action done with the phone unbeknownst to users, even the ones who were rooting their phones, for YEARS? (Yes, I know iPhones also had Carrier IQ but a much more basic version that transmitted much less information.)

Good luck finding a phone that you can prove doesn't spy on you.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

"3rd party Overcome ROM on my tablet"

Let's just hope it has not backdoor / exploit / malware - why not re-ROM your car and toaster and washing machine - or just happy that they work as intended.

0
1

The "Sketchbook" Demo

Searching the online font of all knowledge for "sketchbook ipad" seems to indicate this means the Autodesk Sketchbook Pro app.

Now, I'm not disputing the quality of Sketchbook - my father-in-law emailed a sketch of Durham Cathedral from his iPad (v1) which was rather amazing; but given that I can download a version for my San Francisco[1] seems to contradict the line that iThingies, and not Android Whatsits, are for content creation[2].

So, not having both: is Sketchbook the same on iOS and Android?

[1] - It works, it occasionally chugs, and it's wholly inappropriate for a 3.5" screen, but it's still TEH AWESOME!!!!111!!eleventy!!! Plus of course, I can't draw, which is a minor inconvenience.

[2] - Music apps are sadly lacking, I agree.

0
1
Anonymous Coward

Fanboi Fever!

It never takes long for an apple-related story to bring out the fanbois... Any comment remotely anti apple gets downvoted, and anything tickling SJ's withering balls gets an upvote! Vote away my prettys, and while youre at it, all j0uR m0neY belongs to 4pple!!!

2
3
Anonymous Coward

Re: Fanboi Fever!

Run away you bitter little androboi. The Internet doesn't need you, like you or want you.

1
3
This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

Lightning

Jack Clark

Just as Jeff Bezos did to books and CDs, Amazon's rivals are now doing to it
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
ARA_LIbertad

Chris Mellor

Elliott Management sinks its teeth into retiring godhead

Features

Sinofsky's hybrid strategy looks dafter than ever
Failure to crack next-gen semiconductors threatens to set back humanity
SMEs get lip service - what they need is dinner at the Club
SAP Match Insights
Vorsprung durch grossendatatechnik, as we like to say in Germany