back to article UC interoperability still a bad joke: Gartner

Unified Communications systems still don’t play together nicely, and Ken Agreess, a Research Director with Gartner IT Professionals Research, says vendors’ attitudes of asking value-added resellers to fix problems they create is a “failure”. Agress made his assessment in a blog post penned after attending the Enterprise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Save-a-ho
    Boffin

Pretty uneducated opinion from Gartner (go fig)

If standards for signaling, media, and presence were all that were required, we'd already be an a VoIP paradise. Instead, there's a lot more to voice than just protocols and codecs.

The other problem is that people don't ever want to gut their voice infrastructure (because it's expensive!), so ties to the past hold many enterprises back from fully moving away from the old to the new. The patchwork of voice infrastructure is what integrators are dealing with more than anything. Greenfields aren't that bad, its the so-called brownfields were all the complications arise.

1. Tom 13

Re: Pretty uneducated opinion from Gartner (go fig)

And here I thought most enterprises didn't want to gut their phone infrastructure because they can't lose productivity for the time it takes to install, test, and work out the bugs on the new one.

And I say that sitting in a building in dire need of just such an upgrade.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

SIP - So many standards to choose from

SIP, at a basic level *is* a standard for VoIP. However, once you get into the detail of things, you find the vendors pick and choose the bits they want and implement them the way they want.

Result ? Getting VoIP systems to actually talk to each other via SIP is still a black art.

3. ratfox

Oh, so this is about VoIP?

I could not make heads or tails of all the acronyms in the article.

...all right, I could not bother to Google for it either.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like