back to article Behold! Or rather, don't: Bendy see-through DRAM

Boffins at Rice uni in the States have devised bendy transparent memory chips using pure silicon crystals. James Tour, a polymath chemist at the university working at the Tour Lab - he is also a professor of mechanical engineering and materials science and of computer science, as well as Rice’s T.T. and W.F. Chao Chair in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DigiTime
    Coat

Rice University

It just looks like another bit of rice paper to me...

2. Code Monkey
    Thumb Up

I like the idea of music collection-themed garments. Anyone fancy a Grateful Dead discography kaftan or a Sunn O))) discography monk's habit? Just try not to think of the Iggy Pop discography transparent kecks.

3. Annihilator
    Coat

Transparent

"We might end up wearing our memory devices"

Not sure about you, but my preference for my clothing would be firmly described as "opaque" - although transparent isn't always objectionable in specific examples of the opposite sex..

Also a fine choice for some emperors I hear

4. S.G.

Wearing memory? pft...

I can't wait for memory implants.

Just like in that movies that I forgot the name of, you know, with that guy who says "wow".

1. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

Re: Wearing memory? pft...

Please, S.G. be content to have forgotten the abysmal mess that was the movie of Johnny Mnemonic and stick to the original brilliant William Gibson short story!

(Icon the nearest thing to mirror shades...)

5. Joe K

Yawn

You can get 64gigs now in a microSD card the size of your little fingernail.

Memory is hardly the problem with wearable computers. Its power.

1. Morg

Re: Yawn

Power isn't even an issue anymore. Have you seen the battery of the S2 or comparable phones ? Those are thin enough to be put in your belt buckle with no modifications ;)

Although I agree batteries still have a long way to go, wearable computers are probably to useless to be made today ;)

6. Kubla Cant
    Joke

If there's one thing I hate

It's opaque computer memory.

You try to look out of the window, and you can't see a thing for DIMMs.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: If there's one thing I hate

That's ok. Just zero out the ram till you can see. At night, fill it with 1's to save you closing the curtains .

Coat. The one with the jigabit pockets.

7. Mike Tree
    WTF?

Why?

Please can somebody explain to me the point of see-through flexible memory?

1. Phil Riley

Re: Why?

> Please can somebody explain to me the point of see-through flexible memory?

Because it's (not) there.

1. Vic

> Because it's (not) there

The Emperor's new DIMMs?

Vic.

2. Swarthy
      Go

See-thru circuitry is awesome, the bendy is a bit nice...

Memory is possibly the simplest form of circuitry, but imagine years on, when your screen is the processor spiffy phones ensue, or a tablet than can be closed to fit in a pocket (bendy is nice).

If they could get OLEDs embedded on it it could be even more spiffy. This is not an end of itself, but rather this is the start of something ..well, spiffy.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flexible Memory?

Well, a flexible substrate with a tiny bit of SiO2 having a little burned channel in it.

If all this is is ROM, I'd go for the imprint method, simple cheap and can work with organics on a real flexible circuit.

No density information.... or speed... or anything. Publish or perish, how Mssr Tour keeps the Tour lab open.

9. Bunker_Monkey
    Alien

What alien craft..

Did they nick this from??

Cause I cant believe that they just came up with this....

10. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Meh

"We might end up wearing our memory devices."

We do that already. It's called a brain. Many people have them.

1. Vic

> It's called a brain. Many people have them.

[Citation Required] ...

Vic.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Uh huh

And who's asking?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like