back to article Samsung forging ARM server chips?

The Wall Street Journal has played a variant of "connect the dots" using LinkedIn profiles of chip techies formerly at AMD and now working at Samsung Electronics across town in Austin, Texas, and has come to the conclusion that Samsung is getting ready to jump into the server-processor market with derivatives of the ARM RISC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel
    Thumb Up

Server ARM

This looks like cool new tech. Calxeda is partnered with HP on their Project Moonshot. I really think they could get the density up by about 8x from that without too much trouble. The problem here is that HP is going to price this at a premium to their other offerings, not try to make a new ARM server value play.

Samsung, who also makes server tin, might go another way. That's something to get excited about.

Whichever. I'm for it.

2. Daniel B.

Go for it!

The sooner we get out of the garbage x86 arch, the better!

1. Wilseus

Re: Go for it!

Agreed. It should have been put out of its misery decades ago.

3. Arctic fox
    WTF?

I cannot belive that I am the only one contemplating the irony of Samsung.......

...............investing in industry in the US providing jobs for skilled American workers and contributing positively in terms of taxes, GDP and the trade-balance etc whilst so many US conglomorates are busily continuing to do the opposite - hmm?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do people actually tell the truth on LinkedIn?

There is a nice El Reg investigation here methinks....

(Not that I use my LI Profile. It is there so that I can look at others who send me their CV.... :) )

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Do people actually tell the truth on LinkedIn?

Well I certainly do!

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

"1+1=5 because I want it to"

I go with the "getting-out-of-the-server-racket" line. After all, why go back into a bloody fight where you've had your butt handed to you on a plate twice before? Handheld and mobile devices is a much more open field, much more suited to ARM, and you can compete/dominate in tablets, phones and "lo-po" (low power) devices like desktop NAS and thin clients, all at a greater margin than trying to fight Intel.

Years a go I knew a design engineer who worked for Leyland in their truck division, he left to get a job with BMW. He was very amused when asked if this meant BMW were going to be making trucks - to him, it was a much better opportunity to go and design cars for them. There are a lot of people in the industry that seem quite desperate for ARM to be in servers, but they take any little bit of "evidence" - such as ex-server people going to work for an ARM vendor - as "proof" that it is happening, and they make a mountain out of a molehill.

1. Morg

Re: "1+1=5 because I want it to"

It could very well be more sensational than substantial - not really interesting anyway till we see the real deal and the benchmarks and the price wars :)

I don't see why someone would be desperate for ARM to be in servers, except for drastically lowering the cost of computing of course - but the sure thing is ARM is going to become the main cloud (everything virtualized really, with or without buzzwords) platform before 2020 - there is no way around that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like