back to article Speaking in Tech: Is Instagram really worth $1 BILLION?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise It's time for another Speaking in Tech enterprise and tech biz roundup, with The Dude of enterprise tech, Greg Knieriemen, cloud and storage meister Ed Saipetch and web2.0 insider Sarah Vela. This week they discuss: Eddie on the West Coast; Sarah dispels pregnancy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IS INSTAGRAM REALLY WORTH 1 BILLION DOLLARS?

Well, it is to Facebook, clearly.

2. Him over there

Is Instagram really worth 1 BILLION DOLLARS?

Of course it's not, don't be silly.

1. Thomas 18
      Thumb Down

Re: Is Instagram really worth 1 BILLION DOLLARS?

I'd guess they were as interested in the patents as the technology.

1. Asgard
        Holmes

Re: Is Instagram really worth 1 BILLION DOLLARS?

What patents?, its just a photo taking app that uses standard filter techniques that are open and available in both source code and research papers and have been around for many years.

This isn't about patents its about user numbers. Facebook wants that app to gain access to a popular app. As soon as anything is popular companies want to buy it to associate it with their popular brands to keep their brands popular.

But there is no way in hell its worth $1B. (If I had written it I would have walked away very happy if someone had wanted to give me $1M for it. In terms of coding effort its really not worth even $1M as it could be easily written for much less).

Also the 30M+ users will loose interest in Instagram very soon and so they will be soon looking for the next fad, leaving a very expensive waste of money behind.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Instagram now #1 free app on iPhone

Against El Reg's reports about enraged fanboys, Instagram just made #1 in the top free app for the iPhone so it seems its still finding plenty more market to grow.

At this rate - Android numbers are already in the 6 million range - it'll soon have more users than Google+ and who knows how many billions Google has thrown at that thing....

Maybe not such a bad investment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Instagram now #1 free app on iPhone

Downloads != Users

I downloaded it, discovered it was a shit version of Pixl-o-Matic that was locked into a single social network full mostly of hipsters, so I deleted it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Instagram now #1 free app on iPhone

Android installs != downloads. It only counts when you actually have it on the phone. If you delete it it's not counted anymore.

Look at the current install stats.

4. Pete the not so great
    Meh

WTF is an "instagram" anyways?

First I've heard of it

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Only in America

can you sell an app that makes your photos look shit, where you can post it to a forum where other people have made their photos look shit too, for $1bn

6. Camilla Smythe

Sarah dispels pregnancy rumours

Still putting shoes on her head then :-)

7. paulc

only one good instagram ever posted

the one posted of Ashley Tisdale on the beach in Hawaii

8. Lord Zedd
    FAIL

I've never heard of it

Its a free app, how does that translate into being worth $1 billion dollars?

Apple paid $200m for Siri and its a far more complicated, valuable and useful product.

Come on, seriously, $1 billion dollars for an app that makes your pictures look old-timey?

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

So what actual *income* does this company have?

Only it's traditional to ask what that is so you can figure out if it's worth it.

$100m/yr. Payback in 10 yrs. Not bad.

$10m/Yr. Payback in 1 century. Not good *but* then you'd have to factor in future *growth* That could knock it back down to a few decades.

$1m/Yr Need huge growth in both income *and* number of users. You're either *very* confident or frankly pretty dumb.

So how much does Instagram pull in?

1. Yag
      Trollface

Are you serious?

Advocating applying sensible metrics to the value of corporations?

This is utter madness I didn't heard of since... 2001 or so...

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Meh

Re: Are you serious?

"Advocating applying sensible metrics to the value of corporations?"

What can I say. I'm a crazy guy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like