back to article Scientists slurp conductive fluid for paintable solar panels

Scientists at the University of Southern California have developed a conducting fluid that would allow tiny solar crystals, just four nanometers across, to be painted onto surfaces and conduct electricity. While energy generation from cadmium crystals is less effective than dedicated solar panels they do have the advantage of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course, since cadmium is such a harmless element

And this is going to go over very well with the various environmental protection entities and organizations, since cadmium is such a harmless element.

Oh wait, I forgot: cadmium isn't harmless at all (despite what some Chinese toy manufacturers think) - it is very carcinogenic, which was one reason behind NiCad batteries being largely removed from the market.

1. Arctic fox

Re: Of course, since cadmium is such a harmless element

Indeed, it is very nasty stuff. Not only that it is comparatively rare (about 0.1 ppm of the earth's crust). I would be more impressed with some of these breakthroughs if they did not involve using elements that are likely to end up as another resource problem (as in lack of). I am no kind of bunny-hugging Luddite, I am in fact as keen on innovative tech as the next person but sometimes one has to wonder!

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      FAIL

Please read ALL the article before heaping scorn.

Near the end of the article you'll find this: "Cadmium is toxic, and the team is now looking at alternative chemicals to grow the cells in."

1. Mips
        Childcatcher

So we are going to have cadmium cells without the cadmium. That woud be a .... erm?

2. vic 4
    FAIL

Think you are missing the point. It's a starting point, get something working and improve upon it to get something practical

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Toxic metals

Isn't cadmium one of the group banned here under the RoSHH rules?

1. NomNomNom

Re: Toxic metals

no you are thinking of cadfael, the toxic monk

1. Huntsman
        Coat

Judging by the way the missus reacts, you'd think my (Harry) monk was toxic.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

funny how that joke got 2 upvotes and yet didn't make any sense whatsoever

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Of course, since cadmium is such a harmless element"

Sodium and chlorine can also be pretty nasty but NaCl is also commonly referred to as table salt - so depends what the actual cadmium compound / salt was.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Boffin

Come to that too much oxygen is bad for you :)

5. annodomini2

You mean...

Printable

Like these guys, who are a lot closer to production.

http://www.nanosolar.com/technology

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd have thought that by the time they've got a workable solution, developments in the application of Graphene in solar cells are going to make this work obsolete already?

This topic is closed for new posts.