back to article Root canal surgery officially more desirable than cloud migration

Some IT decision makers would prefer to undergo root canal surgery than deal with migrating their business to a private or public cloud. That's according to networking giant Cisco in its 2012 Global Cloud Networking survey, which polled more than 1,300 procurement bods in 13 different countries to measure the uptake of cloudy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but what kind of clouds are we talking about here?

2. Steve the Cynic
    Joke

Simples...

Having a root canal done is painful, but once done it is over with.

The pain of cloud stuff goes on and on...

1. Darryl

Re: Simples...

Yep, and another difference is:

The ultimate end of a root canal is that it IMPROVES your quality of life.

2. Christian Berger

Re: Simples...

Actually I did have a root canal surgery some years ago. It was nearly completely painless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After migrating 100k seats to MSO BPOS

...I'd prefer a root canal without anesthesia.

4. Silverburn
    Stop

Root Canal

There's root canal and there's ROOT CANAL.

Theoretically, root canal should be pain free if proper numbed, but try telling your brain that when the guy is hacking into your jaw/skull with a long, sharp pile-driver implement and scooping out the pure nerve content.

And he's doing it three times too for a big molar. mmmmmm, lovely...I can still smell the burning enamel and the taste of blood & metal...

1. LaeMing
      Alert

Re: Root Canal

And there is my friend who's wisdom tooth had formed essentially a fish-hook shape deep into her jaw bone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud

There's cloud and there's CLOUD.

Some committee of PHBs here came up with the brilliant plan of moving all the sales & marketing shared drives onto Box.net, starting Box Sync on everyone's machine at boot time -- and making *thousands* of users co-owners of the same directories. What a beautiful train wreck *this* is turning out to be!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

With or without...

Anethesia ?

On both accounts ;-)

7. Inachu
    Thumb Up

BAck to the root canal issue.

A new technique invented in Germany totally restores any tooh in your mouth whole!

The tech reports stated they take a needle to your "Third eye." They take that and mix with a chemical and inject it into your tooth and any hole or crack is gone and tooth becomes whole!

Dammit! lost the Url just google it or something. No need for a root canal if you can afford what I mentioned above.

8. Steven Jones

Root canal surgery & pain...

Root Canal surgery in my experience is painless. It's what caused you to need it in the first place that is the painful bit...

Also, what is it with meaningless comparisons like this one? Also, the article, and presumably the study it was based on is so full of vested interests and bland generalisation as to be just PR puff.

As anybody can tell you with complex applications, porting, whether to cloud or a completely new platform of your own is almost always an expensive and painful exercise.

9. The Godfather
    WTF?

Show me one that isn't paranoid...

IT Decision makers are known for pulling their hair out at the merest hint of "what's it all about and can we have some of it please" As for root canal work, a couple of jabs before-hand make it easy. I'd take a stab and say many who quiver at the thought of migration have one eye on their own position and threat to long term employment.

10. Adam R

They are interviewing the wrong people!

The problem with cloud and surveys is that they are talking to the wrong people!

Unfortunately in most businesses IT is seen as the problem not the cure and is simply being left out of the conversation! I have conversations daily with IT people that go along the lines of "we want to do cloud, but we need to define what it means for us and how we best implement it" (or occasionally a flat out denial, or sometimes hilariously "yeah we do it ..... here is my ESX cluster").

Unfortunately the whole premise of cloud is that you consume a service NOT technology. This is exactly the language business want to hear (who cares how it’s achieved, as long as someone can sign up to some SLA's). It is getting to the point whereby a business can consume pretty much anything they want as a service (want some CRM, go to sales force. You want office productivity ….. use office 365. SAP? Yep that’s coming as well).

Regardless of whether we like it or not most companies are quite happily consuming various cloud services today. Clue, if you have developers in your business I will bet a tenner that they use Amazon or another IaaS provider today. They won’t bother telling you or even asking permission. As far as they are concerned you simply get in the way and aren’t required. I worry that it will eventually hit a point whereby a company is consuming more services externally than internally, someone will ask the obvious question........ why do we have IT department’s full of techies?

Oh and to the person who mentioned Microsoft BPOS. That isn’t cloud it’s managed hosting (something else that’s at risk IMHO).

11. Chris O'Dell vice president of sales and marketing, Hughes Europe

Comment by Chris O’Dell, vice president of sales and marketing, Hughes Europe

It’s quite an analogy to make – likening the cloud to one of the most painful dental treatments available. Yet a serious look at the key issues businesses face in migrating their business highlights some very addressable concerns. The article highlights that one of the main sticking points for businesses looking to move to the cloud is the durability of their network infrastructure to support the transition of their business applications.

It’s surprising that businesses are risking losing competitive advantage and the opportunity to future-proof their businesses over something so simple, convenient and cost effective to address. Simply by implementing the appropriate managed services around their communications networks – which are essential in a cloud environment – the whole cloud migration process can be seamless and less of a headache for IT managers.

Businesses must stop burying their head in the sand and choose a service provider willing to listen and understand their needs. They can also benefit from agnostic, fully-managed communication network services that can support them in their efforts to future proof themselves in today’s increasingly competitive environment.

Not only is the move to the cloud inevitable but it is essential for the growth and progression of tomorrow’s business.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like