back to article Using a Lenovo All-In-One? Grab a fire extinguisher!

Lenovo is recalling another 15,000 All-In-One desktops due to concerns about over-heating and potential fire hazards, taking the tally to 188,000. The vendor announced a voluntary recall of 160,000 ThinkCentre M70z and M90z desktops in March and another 13,000 in April following a complaint to the US Consumer Product Safety …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stu
    Facepalm

Okay so...

...how many have actually caught fire!? Three? Four!?

Not that I make a habit of defending businesses, but all this recall crap perpetuates more of this nanny society bollocks and the like.

Its the same as when news sites talk about the 'dangers' of exploding Lithium Ion batteries. Gimme a break. Its fair to say that these ultimately quite rare cases could be down to production failures, or equally to undisclosed negligence on the part of the customer

1. jai

Re: Okay so...

Fight Club.

I'm pretty sure Lenovo have done the maths and worked out that if one does catch fire and burns someone's kids to a crisp, the reputation loss and potential law suits outweigh the cost of this recall.

1. LarsG

If in the instructions it states FIRE HAZARD if switched on then so be it.

If not then it must be a fault.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Alert

"...the reputation loss and potential law suits outweigh the cost of this recall."

Makes no odds that. Ford did something similar and found that the recall cost was higher. That did not go well for them when a court considering a compensation claim found that Ford had already decided it was cheaper to let their customers burn than fix their cars.......

2. Gary F

The product shouldn't catch fire at all, period. What if you were one of the unlucky 1 in 50,000 owners and you'd left the laptop on while you're asleep or out, only for it to catch fire and, in a worst case scenario, burn your house down? I'm sure you would have a different opinion on product recalls if that had happened. If Lenovo thought it was a one-off event they wouldn't be spending $millions on product recalls and enduring the bad publicity the recall process triggers.

Recalls have nothing to do with the nanny state (which I don't like either) but is all about Lenovo taking its responsibilities seriously to make sure no one is injured because of a faulty product. If Toyota didn't recall 1000's of their cars 2 years ago then my family could have been in serious trouble if the brakes had chosen to pack up when we needed them to work. Product recalls are inconvenient but the consequences could be far worse. (BTW, this isn't a flame, just trying to get across some alternative points of view)

3. Christian Berger

It shouldn't matter if it catches fire or not. They put in a defective part, therefore they need to do a re-call or at least a warranty extension.

It's a way of faking caring about quality.

2. Andy Fletcher

If I was the 1 in 50000...

...I'd be mad. And possibly dead.

But the 49999 people who got "lucky" wouldn't know or care about it. Of COURSE Lenovo have done a cost/benefit analysis. Put it another way, by your reasoning we would reduce speed limits to zero to avoid traffic deaths. We don't. And as horrible as this sounds, we make an economic decision as a society as to how many deaths are acceptable in terms of the benefits of moving people and produce efficiently.

3. Jeff 11
    FAIL

"Put it another way, by your reasoning we would reduce speed limits to zero to avoid traffic deaths. We don't."

By your ridiculous analogy Lenovo would not make any more products for risk of them catching fire.

Instead, they're undertaking a reasonable loss to avoid the risk of serious harm and destruction to a small segment of their customers. If they were producing explosive or inherently combustible products then this would be forgivable, but these are *consumer goods*.

4. pixl97
    Mushroom

Additional lost business for them.

I was in the market for a fair number of these in early March, when all of a sudden they dropped off the market. A few days later it was announced there was a recall. Ended up going with Dell Vostro AIO units, which as of so far have not exploded in flames killing anyone, though with a name like Dell on the case it's distinctly possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Additional lost business for them.

Just proprietory, shit and liable to die when they hit the warranty insead. Dell's track record with anything slightly non statndard is horrific. Google Optiplex SX260. Lenovo would actually get my vote as they are doing what they should do. Dell sold millions of these little sods and denied there was ever a problem. Just like HP with the DV series laptops

5. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Nobody ever got fired (pun intended) for ordering Lenovo (IBM) machines.

Because they are all dead from smoke inhalation!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like