back to article Confused, pessimistic on G-Cloud? You must work in government

Confusion and pessimism about the government’s G-Cloud and ICT plans is widespread among civil servants running the nation’s technology . A VMware survey of more than 180 senior public sector IT staff found 63 per cent doubt the Cabinet Office will be able to hit its stated spending goals on cloud computing. Nearly half of IT …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do not want my "government" details (i.e social security numbers, tax details, etc....) held on cloud servers from ANY hosting company. I want MY data held on Government servers IN THE UK and not on some Google, Amazon, MS, Apple, or any other 3rd party servers.

It's a bit pointless me being decidedly cautious with my data, for my even more personal data being held on servers belonging (in some cases) to the exact same companies.

As for the headline:

"Confused, pessimistic on G-Cloud? You must work in government." That should read:

Confused, pessimistic on G-Cloud? You must be smart enough not to listen to the sales men!

Cloud is a PART of a solution and NOT the be all and end all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's a bit more to it

Your example is probably one of the less likely GCloud scenarios. More likely - as a government CIO, you might well see sense in buying into a cloud-based HR system hosted in the data centres of the HR system vendor. That's more the kind of thing GCloud is supposed to enable

That said, in my experience of Government-wide frameworks and purchasing clubs, you can always achieve more flexibility and lower costs by going it alone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like