back to article Microsoft books stall at Appule - the Mac expo stiffed by Apple

Microsoft has signed up for the Appule Personal and Professional User Live Expo, which Apple has so far snubbed. The London-based trade show was to be called AppleExpo, until the organiser Indigo Media received legal letters from Apple about potential trademark infringement. The name of the two-day show, which runs at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy response to Apple's idiotic lawyers

Simply rename the show CrApple and invite Google too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Says it all really

A convention for people who love Apple kit, with vendors who supply Apple kit, 3rd parties who provide software, services and products for Apple kit and so benefit the company in all kinds of ways and all of them do it because they love Apple and Apple loves them...

Oh wait

You can't use the word Apple or we'll sue. Tells you everything you need to know about the company you love so much. They don't give a toss about you, only your money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Says it all really

Umm I don't see many conferences calling themselves "Microsoft Expo" around, when Microsoft isn't involved, do you? Or even "Google <something>" when not specifically backed by Google.

Must be simply because organisers haven't thought of that yet, of course. /s

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes I have seen many conferences with the word Microsoft attached because that is what the 3rd party has been promoting even though Microsoft have not been involved but Microsoft have the sense not to send the lawyers in all guns blazing. I wouldn't have a problem if the expo had wanted to use the logo or other corporate copyrighted stuff but they didn't. They just wanted to use the word Apple to allow people who might be interested to know it was primarily about Apple stuff but the powers that be in Cupertino think they own the word Apple which they don't.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Yes I have seen many conferences with the word Microsoft attached because that is what the 3rd party has been promoting even though Microsoft have not been involved

Such as? Citations please.

2. Blitterbug
        Unhappy

Re: Umm I don't see...

Idiot. What else can you call an Apple-centric expo? Do you suppose they would allow 'MacExpo' instead? Of course not; and apparently neither you nor they can see a problem with this kind of PR fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Umm I don't see...

Erm yes of course, in fact there's a MacExpo run outside of Apple already.

And you call ME an idiot, what a muppet. Go learn trademark law before talking out of your ass.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Umm I don't see many conferences calling themselves "Microsoft Expo" around, when Microsoft isn't involved, do you? Or even "Google <something>" when not specifically backed by Google."

Hmm, is that possibly because there just isn't the level of fanboy-ism going on with other companies?

Could well be...

"i own an apple device and therefore i am part of a special club of lovely apple people, let's all get together and celebrate how unique and awesome we are". Sigh.

2. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

@AC 11.55 GMT Much as it pains me I have to be fair and say that Apple themselves........

...........may not have been involved in this set of threats. It may simply have been at the initiative of the reseller the article mentions - although I grant you that his behaviour is little different from that we expect and have seen regularly from Cupertino.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Slow new day then....

Microsoft has been advertising in Mac Mags for years.

They do sell a version of Office for the Fruity machines. IMHO, it is better than the Windows version.

1. Dave Perry

Re: Slow new day then....

A PGCE-student ex of mine hated it when she tried Office X for mac a couple of years back. Then her workplace went entirely mac in a new build (bar a few PCs for admin machines as they couldn't stand mac equivalents for school / library administration) and she got a macbook and some training. I use OpenOffice on my mac personally, doesn't always get layouts right but most of the time perfectly usable on the move.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slow news day? Not at all.

Token Ring is being removed from the Linux kernel!!

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/230941

How exciting is that. Yet, no coverage on El Reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Slow news day? Not at all.

That's a shame, I've always had a lot of time for Token Ring. It's really a shame that it didn't really go much past 16MB, it was conceptually a very good, efficient, networking technology, particularly for LANs, much more efficient than Ethernet. IBM should have made it a lot cheaper and it may have contended with Ethernet a lot longer.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...it is better than the Windows version."

I take it you're not a power user, then?

Open Word. Insert a merge field. Done that? Great. Now edit your merge field.

That's okay, I'll wait...

The mac version is a horror to use. Looks nice though, I'll give you that.

4. Dire Critic

Perhaps...

...it should have been called the CrabApple Expo?

1. Alex Rose
      Facepalm

Re: Perhaps...

"Krabappel?! I've been calling her KRANDEL!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like