back to article ICO: Managed to comply with Cookies Law? Go help the other kids

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) wants public sector bodies that have made their websites comply with EU cookie regulations to share their knowledge with others. "We are seeing elements of good practice and what we hope is that, as those get implemented, it will be much easier for those who are not ready to see …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll listen to them when they're revenue is generated by advertising and not gifted by Tax Payers

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Headmaster

You'll listen but probably not here

s/they're/their

Did you have a point?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll listen to them when they're revenue is generated by ......

Or they slap you with a £200K fine for your website faiing to comply with the law.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Facepalm

I it doesn't work, just ask for more money.

"Now if you're a private business, then the worse that happens is that you lose some of your revenue that day. But if you are offering services to UK citizens and you are introducing something which denies them access because it does not work properly, there are all sorts of issues for government, local authorities or even NHS websites, that a retailer would not face."

The wholesome aire in the velvet-clad king's seat upon the civil servant mountain must be rarefied indeed, sire!! God bless!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I've seen a few outfits offering plugins for instant compliance

Only trouble is that some of the plugins rely on 3rd party cookies set by the provider's domain. D'oh!

4. Irongut

Yet another article on this stupid law which talks a lot about compliance and the possible penalties of non-compliance but still fails to actually tell us what we need to do to be compliant.

1. Pete Spicer

That's half the problem, like most other outfits, El Reg doesn't really know what needs to be done to be compliant.

Mind you, I'm still not 100% sure that the ICO's own site is compliant yet...

2. Jonathan Richards 1
      Thumb Up

Here you go

I had occasion to send this useful link to a .gov.uk organisation only yesterday:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx

5. Alister

"What we want is an element of consistency where an organisation doing something properly can then disseminate that practice among their colleagues in similar sectors,"

Hmm, "an organisation doing something properly " is not likely to be anything to do with the UK government, then, is it?

6. Andy Livingstone

Good News?

Letter in today from an ICO Case Officer says "there is presently a period of grace which expires on 26th May 2012. At that time we will be placing a reporting mechanism on our website to advise us about any breaches of the cookie regulations". Ministry of Justice first report? Hmm, need to think about that. I have a little list as KoKo says.

7. despairing citizen
    FAIL

Optimisim?

"The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) wants public sector bodies that have made their websites comply with EU cookie regulations to share their knowledge with others."

Okay, now find me a public sector website that >fully< complies with the directive!

1. thedebaser

Re: Optimisim?

Even better, just come up with a list of X thousand sites that don't comply and as many people as possible should send them to the ICO over the next few weeks repeatedly. How many people will they have dealing with this? Not enough to keep on top of the huge number of sites that won't comply that is for sure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like