back to article Isilon Maverick flyboy in EMC World flyby

EMC's coming "Mavericks" Isilon software update aims to help it play nicely in the enterprise IT zone while keeping its scale-out NAS top gun title. Announced at EMC World, the upcoming "Mavericks" edition of Isilon's OneFS storage box operating system aims to make it more of a dependable racehorse, with role-based admin and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Twit

Cluser mode

NetApp has a scale out product too... Why do you compare Isilon to FAS

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/02/netapp_specsfs2008/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>FAS competes with VNX and not Isilon after all.

I want whatever you are smoking... ONTAP competes with everything. Scale-UP AND Scale-out AND NAS AND SAN.

3. DrDedupe
    WTF?

Really??

"There appears to be no chance of NetApp's mainstream FAS arrays approaching this level of performance"

I really hope this doesn't turn into benchmark-athon. Fact is that NetApp and Isilon offer similar products and both attract customers for the same workloads. My question is: Still no dedupe?? Maverick?? Really?? OK 3 questions...

DrDedupe

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to mention...

E-series doesn't do NAS anyway.

5. dikrek
    Stop

NetApp does have a big SPEC SFS result for scale out

Hello all, D from NetApp here.

Check analysis here: http://bit.ly/K2FBz1

Unfortunately most people don't understand how to read the SPEC submissions, I hope my article clarifies it a bit.

D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NetApp does have a big SPEC SFS result for scale out

That's NFS D, this article is specifically about CIFS.

But that said, the so-called analysis in this article is so poorly thought out and misinformative that it should be dismissed as bollocks.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mavericks touched a nerve with some net app folks, eh?

Isilon with Mavericks is bridging the gap between big data and big IT with scale-out NAS and the question is why no dedupe? I think the answer is that Isilon's 80%-90% inherent storage utilization is better than dedupe done poorly as is the case of NetApp's that can only dedupe at a volume level - having no global benefit to the namespace. My question is why c-mode has no WORM or automated tiering or automated balancing of capacity across volumes. Even IBRIX has these and that product hasn't changed since 2008.

1. DrDedupe
      Alert

Re: Mavericks touched a nerve with some net app folks, eh?

Not so much touched a nerve, but left me wondering why after 12 years and with DD under the engineering umbrella of EMC why Isilon can't figure out how to dedupe. Everyone is asking for dedupe - WORM, not so much.

DrDedupe

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Really?

WRT WORM in c-mode: I guess if netapp doesn't offer it, users don't need it? Same with automated tiering? Like I said, no dedup is better than dedupe done poorly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like