back to article VMware sees Mirage, buys up company

Virtualization juggernaut VMware gobbled up four year old VDI vendor Wanova today, giving the virtualization juggernaut another weapon to fire at Citrix. VMware pretty much still owns the x86 virtualization racket among enterprise IT shops, despite heroic efforts to dislodge it by Microsoft, Citrix Systems, and Red Hat, but the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K

"makes the PC infrastructure more resilient."

Please explain this statement? If you lose routing or SAN then you lose everything! with individual PC's you only lose individual base units. VDI is an area that particularly interests me at the moment, as we're a fast growing company and its looks appealing route for easy management! I'm not massively familiar with the systems, but this statements smells.

1. An0n C0w4rd

Re: "makes the PC infrastructure more resilient."

I suspect that they mean that server level PCs are designed to be more fault tolerant than desktop PCs. And with stuff like VMotion you're not even tied to one server staying up.

Most corporate environments rely on centralised stuff, either file servers or app servers, and in pretty much every company I've seen if the servers go down the desktops are pretty much useless except for getting your minesweeper time down.

2. An0n C0w4rd

"Layers"

The root of the technology is likely based around filesystem access, and the different layers just add new paths on the filesystem. What puzzles me is that Windows loves the registry and similar artefacts which are effectively files with databases in them. I can't see how you could virtualise the registry in a way that is relatively in dependant of the hosted OS because of OS specific hacks like that. Am I missing something?

1. JaimieV
      Go

Re: "Layers"

All these are just files on virtual disks, so the same techniques that work so well for taking snapshots can be re-used to merge the layers.

Windows very kindly already splits the registry db between files for the system and files specific for the user, so there's likely not too much for the Mirage software to do there.

Other OSes don't use a registry, so there's your independence.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like