back to article Scan co-jacking nets crooks '€40k in IT gear'

Crooks have masqueraded as buyers at web bazaar Scan to obtain goods from its suppliers by deception. The fraudsters bought a domain name similar to scan.co.uk, and crafted a counterfeit website and headed paper using the etailer's logo. Letters, complete with the correct VAT and company registration numbers, with orders for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Godfather
    Holmes

easy-peasy...

One of the easiest crimes to perpetrate and yet one of the most successful. If you really want to avoid attacks like these or prevent other similar and tougher to catch frauds- call me. Losing 30-50 grand or more is no fun and can prove fatal for some Resellers.

1. Ian Yates
      Joke

Re: easy-peasy...

"If you really want to avoid attacks like these or prevent other similar and tougher to catch frauds- call me"

Coming from a guy called "The Godfather", that sounds like a different type of crime ;)

"Nice looking reseller business you've got here... shame if anything were to *happen* to it"

2. chris 143

Bristol based biz? really? cause you can see the Reebok stadium from their offices

3. Stuart Elliott

BOLTON...

And when did Shelley retire?

I always enjoyed chatting to him, at their old premises, you could always get discounts if you asked for Shelley to serve you direct.

1. SYNTAX__ERROR

Re: BOLTON...

Shelley's still there, good luck trying to find him though :)

Elan took over the MD title from him more than 10 years ago.

Both good men.

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

yet they have to fence this stuff on to cash in on the scam. How much are they going to get? 4K? 10K tops. Seems a lot of effort for not much return. They'd do better flogging fake Costa franchises, where they are trousering cash.

1. Dave Bennett
      Meh

Re: 40K

Well they got the goods at trade price, so even if they sold on an auction site at that price they'd be undercutting retailers by a modest amount (margins not being great I assume).

Technically, there's nothing stopping them opening a shop and selling at RRP (unless the products are trackable in some way).

D!

5. Arctic fox
    Holmes

".......a tell-tale sign of a 'co-jacking' that was spotted............."

Very positive to see that only one supplier fell for it. However I have to say that that the following........

"Suppliers that are shipping blind without any form of credit checks or contact with the customer need to redefine their business processes with special attention to where the goods are being delivered,"

..........made the choice of icon obligatory.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: ".......a tell-tale sign of a 'co-jacking' that was spotted............."

A credit check in itself wouldn't help much. They would have got back the credit report for the real Scan which would say that everything is fine.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clampdown

NOUN Clampdown

VERB To clamp down

One says "the government are CLAMPING DOWN on drink driving";

not "the government are clampdowning..."

7. Octopoid

Domain Name

I'm trying to think of what possible mispelling of "scan" you could use and people not notice it was different - the closest I can think of is "scam"...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like