The Channel logo

back to article PC-makers hope for Windows 8 hero to sweep up sales

In the current tight economic climate, manufacturers of PCs and laptops are eagerly looking forward to the arrival of Windows 8 to rescue their sales. It's worked before: the launch of Windows 7 in 2009 got off to a galloping start, more than doubling equivalent sales of Vista two years earlier. A few corporates even advanced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pirate

Metro will kill Windows 8 in the workplace.

See title.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Metro will kill Windows 8 in the workplace.

Windows 8 was never going to be a rapid upgrade among the large orgs that have switched to Windows 7 recently, or are in process of doing so. Metro or no Metro. We all know that. Microsoft knows that. Bottom of heart expect Acer does too.

Workplace. Not everybody works for large public or private corporates. I'd expect Windows 8 will go down well among many small businesses as well as consumers, especially when the interesting refresh of hardware options gathers momentum. All depending on price of course, I don't see many people of my acquaintance jumping to spend £1000+ on Ultrabooks whatever wishful thinking Acer may espouse.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Metro will kill Windows 8 in the workplace.

I wouldn't get Ultrabooks from Acer at half that, they'll be made of cheese.

Silver badge

Idiot

Clearly this Neil Marshall chap is an idiot. Bad enough that he thinks Windows 8 will sell in the corporate market but he thinks the solution to security is homogeneity!?!?! Homogeneity is what got us to the state we're currently in with viruses, worms, trojans, etc on Windows.

Silver badge

Quick, time for a new laptop

Before some idiot decides that they'll only be available with W8.

I'm a linux user, but I still have a couple of applications that require windows...

Re: Quick, time for a new laptop

I was thinking same thing and looking laptops just earlier. I wonder what will be microsoft downgrade policy on win8 because there's no way in hell limit my regular way of using computers and run metroUI after I tested preview... For tablet, I can see metro UI work for, but not for laptop/desktop.

Why not just buy a copy of windows 7 and stick it in the cupboard until you actually need a new laptop?

Silver badge

Bad enough I have to buy Windows at all - no way am I buying *two* copies...

Stop

Metro UI will never work for job I have to do. Too many small apps required in screen for monitoring things. So there's no any kind of reason to go for Win8.

RUmour from upstairs say they have decided they'll go for Win7 instead and wait out till win9 or win10 earliest to see if this 2 apps on huge screens metro nonsense will go away. There's reason why we have big monitors, and running only 2 apps 34/66% split aint it...

Bronze badge
FAIL

RE: AnoNymousGerbil

Try it before moaning for goodness sake. The desktop is almost identical to Windows 7 and you can run as many apps as you like side by side just like in Windows 7.

Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: AnoNymousGerbil

I wouldn't bother trying to comment on here, anything even hinting towards a positive comment gets down voted to hell and back, its a sad state of affairs when supposed pros cant have a good debate about something or that people are so blinkered by their own anti-MS hate that anything MS did, no matter how good (or bad) would always been seen as having some Ulterior motive for world domination and more specifically a direct and personal attack on that persons physical and mental wellbeing.

Fact is this, if you tried it for a length of time and choose to like it or not, then so be it, grown up folk can talk about it and share their actual findings with others, also known as learning and sharing. if you don't use it and pretend that you have used it or just flat out ignore it, then I don't see what you could bring to a conversation anyway. Interestingly if it were anywhere else where ones not hidden behind internet anonymity, most folk would get on fine and be able to have a civilised debate, sadly that isn't the case here.

Anonymous Coward

@Dazzza - I totally agree - I've noticed that several topics here have become very polorised indeed, it seems that people with some points of view have just given up commenting because it's not worth having a different opinion. There is a large amount of bullying of people not towing the line of the groupthink on particular subjects. It's very sad.

Bronze badge

Well I have tried Windows 8 preview, (though not the release candidate as the CPU that ran the preview is now marked as unsuitable, so black mark 1).

First the good, the office suite ran really well, faster than with XP and clearly much faster than it would have been with Vista, boot up and (when you could find out how) shut down were very quick.

The less good news was that in order to find the office applications I had to paste short cuts over the desk top.

Now, my mobile is a Nokia 6230i and it does all that I use, so my need for and likely relationship to the metro play bricks is close to, but on the wrong side of zero. None of the so called applications worked and none of them did anything useful, getting up the full list of application on the front sign in was a night mare three screens of unreadable junk. I tried to delete unwanted bricks, (who cares about the weather in Seattle?) from the metro wall but the space just stayed there and the brick could not be recovered to do anything once more. I never did find a use for the brick things, why are they parked in the way?

I found a number of ways of shutting down, the easiest was was the button on the front, this was often easier than clearing a metro junk screen than trying to hunt a pack round to clear the result of touching a brick.

So yes I have tried it, no I have seen no point in getting windows (H)8. It is a very poor experience on a non touch screen device and, unless I can get a 18 inch extension to my arms will be unusable on a touch screen desk top.

In short it was two systems in one, a half usable speed up for Windows 7 but with the good bits removed, the other totally irrelevant and of no purpose at all. My data is perfectly happy on my PC, I have no use for fetching it to and from some far distant server over a costly data volume limited link to a 'mobile device' for which I have no use.

However, having had to sort out the financial affairs of a deceased relative they should replace all the silly metro cr*p with a 'Get some help from a civil servant' application and they might just be onto a winner.

Richard

Anonymous Coward

Inevitable conclusion?

People buy PCs. When they walk into a PC store, they can buy Windows, Windows, or Windows. Doesn't really make a difference if the version number is 7 or 8, they'll inevitably buy it. MS would sell millions even if the purchaser had to wear a T-short emblazoned with, "Kick me - I'm an idiot".

Anonymous Coward

Re: Inevitable conclusion?

Yes, there is a lot of Windows, but there is also a lot of MacOS, tablets are strong with Android and you can still get Linuxy netbooks. It's way better than it was and it will be interesting to see how MS go in the tablet market when the Win8 tablets come out.

Thumb Up

Windows 8 in the workplace

No chance, that stupid Metro bullshit has ensured that will never happen.

Windows 8 is turning into an even bigger trainwreck by the day, it's fascinating to see Microsoft fucking it up on such a huge scale. I thought they couldn't actually fuck up a product launch worse that they did with the Xbox360, but they seem to have achieved the unthinkable with Windows 8.

Silver badge

On planet earth

The multinational <insert name here> I work with is still busy rolling out XP - Windows 7 upgrades. So no quick upgrade there. At the same time a policy for Ipads has been rolled out and Iphones are due next. Once management migrates completely away from Windows based desktops you can expect them to allow the plebs to do so as well. That process may well be completed before the next upgrade cycle is due and put the whole idea of such a cycle into question.

Consumers don't normally get to choose the operating system on the kit they buy. It was only the revolt of the corporate customers that got OEMs to get Microsoft to extend the life of XP and offer them a choice while VIsta was being pushed.

The guy from Acer must be very glad that they also make Android devices.

Re: On planet earth

@Charlie Clark

"At the same time a policy for Ipads has been rolled out and Iphones are due next. Once management migrates completely away from Windows based desktops you can expect them to allow the plebs to do so as well."

Once management start using iPads and iPhones, Microsoft had better watch out for their Office marketplace too.

Microsoft Will Launch Office For iPad In November

Will November be soon enough? Possibly not for your management. What they do meanwhile could have a long lasting effect.

Also, if Microsoft doesn't get Office on iPad right first time, they could lose an awful lot of business.

Bronze badge

Re: On planet earth

"The multinational <insert name here> I work with is still busy rolling out XP - Windows 7 upgrades. So no quick upgrade there."

Actually you may find that they are using SCCM to roll it out in which case Win8 may come very soon because it's a trivial upgrade once you've done the legwork on Win7

Silver badge

Re: SCCM

I don't know. Discussions with a friend of mine at a bank said they were in a similar situation with the next upgrade pencilled in for 2014 / 2015 at the earliest, if at all.

I can see Windows 8 tablets finding their spot in the heterogeneous environment but not if they are hopelessly crippled as currently seems the plan. If people can't use their existing version of Office then why should they bother with Windows? MS will need very good arguments to get management to swap Ipads for Wintabs and paying for existing software isn't one of them!

Linux

"But sales people are optimists. "Yes, we're very excited about Windows 8 - there's a lot of anticipation," says Neil Marshall, MD of Acer UK"

There's optimism, and then there's deluded. I'm sure Neil Marshall is a nice enough bloke, but if he thinks that home users, let alone corporates, are going to spring for Windows 8 just for the possibility of using touch screen, then I'll have some of what he's smoking.

Mines the one with Win XP on it, because Win7 offers nothing to me that's worth paying for that I don't have with XP.

Bronze badge
Meh

Mines the one with Win XP on it...

I was just about to upvote you. Then you went and added that last paragraph...

Anonymous Coward

I'm a hardcore Nixer too

But W7 is far better than XP.

Sorry but I've got to downvote you too.

FAIL

"Mines the one with Win XP on it, because Win7 offers nothing to me that's worth paying for that I don't have with XP."

Win 8, damn it, Win 8. I've clearly had some of what Neil Marshall has been smoking....

Thumb Down

wrong philosophy

why should I upgrade a computer only because the OS is new? the applications should push me to upgrade, not the OS, which is the software that should be almost invisible from the performance point of view!

Silver badge
Pint

Re: wrong philosophy

PUT ON A3 PAPER AND FRAME!

Silver badge

I don't think it's a given

I would not see any attraction to running Windows 8 unless I had a machine with a touch screen, preferably a tablet which would benefit from the new UI. The experience for mouse and keyboard devices is shockingly poor. It's so bad that I anticipate that Microsoft will turn out a Windows 9 as quickly as Windows 7 appeared after Vista to address the shortcomings.

A tablet running x86 and with some kind of dock would be a neat little device and I'd put up with metro just for the sake of the portability. I steer the hell clear of Windows on ARM though which IMO is going to be a disaster of epic proportions when people angrily realise it doesn't work with any existing Windows software.

Silver badge
FAIL

"million dollar back-door bungs"

"The Microsoft-backed launch of Nokia's Lumia range of Windows 7.5 phones at the end of last year is a recent reminder that marketing might and million dollar back-door bungs are not necessarily sufficient to get a new product into orbit."

Anonymous Coward

Re: "million dollar back-door bungs"

you've hit the nail on the head here,

MSs biggest failing over the last few years in really really bad PR, its marketing has been awful.

It was almost there with Nokia, but no sooner had it came to our lives it vanished again.

Compare that to the initial upbeat iphone release or any Apple product release in recent times for that matter and you can see a striking difference, MS just hasn't hit that spot yet, its got a reputation (in the UK anyway) for odd querky adds, not funky "remember me" adds.

an before you all jump up and down and about being duff products, its worth pointing out that even crap products will sell very well if you get the PR side right.

Stop

Re: "million dollar back-door bungs"

If your product is average, million dollar buns can work (Apple have used that for years to ensure blogs and magazine gush praise on their average products).

If your products are truly shit, like Windows Phone, then no amount of bung money can save it. Sure you will still have plenty of paid people around gushing paid-for-praise on the products, but for every one of those, there will be 10 people that can't stop laughing at them.

Nokrosoft even tried bunging cash as salespeople in stores to push Lumia, but they are too smart, they know any "sale" will come back and bite them.

Silver badge

Pushing Lumia

Dead right. I've seen a few Lumia in shops, but the sales staff always seem to guide people back to an Android or iPhone on contract.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Sales people are drinking the MS Koolaid

That have to buy in to the Windows 8 mantra. If they don't they would have to be honest and tell the suckers/punters the truth.

Metro is as useful as one raindrop is for greening the Saraha outside the phone/tablet/small latop screen area. I wish MS would get its fingers out of its collective ears and listen to the people who are telling them this.

Silver badge

Save sales?

Have they seen Windows 8?

FFS.

People will take one look, vomit over the shop floor and run out screaming.

Arms waving in the air, optional.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Save sales?

I'm guessing you've not seen it, by which I mean other than in pictures on the Internet...

Anonymous Coward

I've got it and sadly it lives up to the bad press, Metro is no good for the classic desktop. The less we say about the ribbon infestation the better.

Silver badge

In fact I have. I have attempted to make use of the various consumer, dev and beta previews.

And I really do mean "attempted" because Metro is an absolute fluster-cuck of a desktop GUI (I could see it being good on a phone) and the dumbed down traditional desktop is, well, dumbed down.

The average punter who just wants to surf, Facebook and write the odd letter - single tasking is fine. And this is what Metro just about lets you do (yes I know about the screen-split, don't start me).

But for someone you actually wants to use the computer (be they a coder, sys admin, graphic designer, CAD user or whatever) will want multiple windows to do their day job.

So having used Win8 my personal opinion of it is that it is a steaming turd.

Personally my main concern at the moment is which DE do I use next to get some work done. Unity and Gnome Shell suffer from many of the limitations of Win8 (geared towards single-tasking, just nowhere hear as bad) and whilst Unity may have HUD, I think KDE has to be the weapon of choice for a graphic-rich DE.

If I have to suffer Win8 in my day-to-day (likely), it will in a VM where I have to touch it as little as possible.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

@AC 16:40

>I'm guessing you've not seen it

I've tried to use it, and it's horrid.

Silver badge
WTF?

Forget Windows 8

I work for a company that has several thousand desktops, laptops and phones.

We are still on XP and after the best part of 6 months we are finally ready to accept windows 7 will work on our 600 odd legacy apps/programs.

Hell we only just th last fortnight went fron IE6 to IE8 due to compatability issues.

After we finish rolling out Windows 7 we will be planning our next upgrade, the hardware. For that we are looking at thin clients connecting to servers so BYOD is made easier and security also much easier to control.

Will also made updates and software access etc a lot easier.

We will not be looking at Windows 8, more likely would be to switch the OS from windows to something else instead as the desktops won't have an OS and anything that can access the virtual desktop like say a linux distro will do fine.

The only people who will be buying Windows 8 are those with no choice as thats what the OEM has put on the pc they get from Currys etc.

As to the whole pc, talet and phone running the same OS how stupid do you think we are ? here's what would happen, virus gets on someones phone, they bring it into work, everyone equipement including their phones are infected, yeh I can see us allowing that to happen then. We had a big enougth problems with someone bringing in a virus that screwed up our excange servers with emailing all contacts over and over again a few years ago.

No, Windows 8 has no place in the corporate world which is still rolling along on XP and sees a big enough change and training headache going to 7.....

Re: Forget Windows 8

Exactly.

For your config there I would go full virtualized Win7 images on Mini-ITX machines, either Atom or Core i3 low power models. Better than bare thin clients.

Re: Forget Windows 8

On the other hand thin clients which log into Server 2008 R2 vie Terminal Services are proving popular in one of the offices I work in.

Bronze badge

Thin Clients

Popular with whom exactly? The poor bastards who have to use them or the very satisfied sysadmins whose life has become easier?

FAIL

MetroUI gives no chance to Windows8. It's toast already.

Microsoft managers and marketing dept people along with developers behind MetroUI must be fired. Microsoft really deserves to go bankrupt on MetroUI.

What they are doing it's just plain insane. These people are full of drugs. They don't care about quality, about their customers, about productivity.

And they seriously believe that a childish flawed interface that MetroUI is all about can be forced on common users, power users, developers, businesses, professionals, network administrators too!

MetroUI is the death of Microsoft.

Maybe they will delete MetroUI with Windows8 Service Pack 1 if they will see that only a few idiots would buy such a farce of an OS.

Businesses buying Windows8 must want to go bankrupt as well because with MetroUI productivity goes down to zero.

Silver badge

Re: MetroUI gives no chance to Windows8. It's toast already.

It's a certainty Metro will be hacked out of Win8 very quickly unless Microsoft have made extraordinary efforts to prevent it, more than just disabling registry keys. We'll know reality has erupted in Redmond the day they stop trying to block those hacks.

Sit back and enjoy the coming war between Microsoft and hackers. Thrill to how close to disaster Microsoft go before they quietly stop blocking 3rd party attempts to 'fix' Win8 and it's Metro madness.

I'm confident Metro will eventually be excisable (or Win8 will vanish without trace). I want to see some in depth analysis of what new boobytraps are scattered through the core OS and it's desktop front end. Already alarmed at the whole cloud focus and the Live account crap, I really don't want my PC dependent on a connection to Microsoft. Activating XP every time I rebuild causes me enough problems already.

FAIL

"In the current tight economic climate, manufacturers of PCs and laptops are eagerly looking forward to the arrival of Windows 8 to rescue their sales."

Similarly, I'm eagerly looking forward to the arrival of a winning lottery ticket to rescue my finances.

At least my dream is realistic.

Anonymous Coward

Metro Is A Sack Of Shit

Metro (ME ROT) is cumbersome, awkward and thoroughly unsuitable for current desktop use making GNOME 3 look like the best DT environment ever.

Yes this may work when severely re-jigged in 5-10 years time when there are different DT hardware interfaces but is sure as hell isn't going to work now. Expect a flat MS share price for some years yet.

Re: Metro Is A Sack Of Shit

"making GNOME 3 look like the best DT environment ever." In your opinion. I much prefer lxde, xfce, kde4 or even Windows XP / 7

Anonymous Coward

Re: Metro Is A Sack Of Shit

@matthew25

You have taken the Gnome 3 comment literally, you must be American as you don't understand the subtleties of irony.

Let me translate, Gnome 3 was crap but MS managed to trump that with something even crappier..

Bronze badge
Unhappy

My take on the current situation and beyond:-

Being a general old school sort of A/P doing random user support on my down time, (it's the economy don't you know) :-(

Trying to do remote admin on people with current Windows 7 is actually quite bad. i.e.

(after general obvious stuff),

'press the start button, yep the round thing in the left bottom corner', now type 'cmd' return. Oh so it didn't come up with anything, umm, type local security policy. Oh so that hasn't come back with anything. Try 'local group policy'. umm nothing either. Read me down what you have on the screen. Oh, not there, goes on, (until randomly find the appropriate app - not actually listed in any o/s search for end user to find easily).

Not entirely sure Win8 duel interface is going to make this procedure more elegant.

(*) Yep, and before you point it out, a default windows install would pop up the things requested. An off the shelf consumer build, (i.e. Dell I'm looking at you), apparently might not.

FAQ | House Rules Post your own message

Bronze badge

Re: My take on the current situation and beyond:-

"Trying to do remote admin on people with current Windows 7 is actually quite bad. i.e.

(after general obvious stuff),

'press the start button, yep the round thing in the left bottom corner', now type 'cmd' return. Oh so it didn't come up with anything, umm, type local security policy. Oh so that hasn't come back with anything. Try 'local group policy'. umm nothing either. Read me down what you have on the screen. Oh, not there, goes on, (until randomly find the appropriate app - not actually listed in any o/s search for end user to find easily)."

The fact that you know little to nothing about supporting Windows 7 is not the fault of Microsoft it is the fault of you. Professionals would be able to remember what to type and where to click. They would also know how to use remote support requests so they didn't need to tell the user anything at all...

Silver badge

know little to nothing about supporting Windows 7 is not the fault of Microsoft

It is however Microsofts fault that so many tools got moved or even removed between XP and Win7, for no apparent reason. Change for changes sake. Or more likely change for charging more training fee's sake.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

ARA_LIbertad

Chris Mellor

Elliott Management sinks its teeth into retiring godhead
Satya Nadella
cloud computing Fight

Tom Pappas

We all know hardware lasts longer than 3 years so why bin good kit?

Features

SAP Match Insights
Vorsprung durch grossendatatechnik, as we like to say in Germany
Inside the Google Lab where surgeons prepare the human/dog experiment
Big Blue exec tells El Reg what to keep an eye on
Windows 8.1 Update Start Screen
As good as it gets, for now
Is everything fatally borked? Not quite, say security godheads