back to article HTC torches forecasts as stock tsunami floods skint Europe

HTC has slashed its Q2 top and bottom line estimates as it clears the glut of stock in the supply chain and acknowledges weakened demand in Europe. The Taiwanese firm revealed revenues for the period are expected to be NT$91bn (£1.9bn) or some 13.3 per cent lower than the NT$105bn it forecast in April. Operating margin was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard 1
    Unhappy

Patent laws = tools for the bullies

I think it is absolutely scandalous how blatantly the bigger players are using patent laws to prevent competition in their markets. If we were talking about what I would deem significant patents, such as fundamental technologies, then you could understand it but when it comes down to 'swipe gestures' blocking the release of devices in countries then something has gone wrong.

Everyone should patent everything and then we could stop the free market functioning altogether.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a question of the competition between Apple and Samsung.

The real competition is Android phone v Android phone.

Unfortunately, at the time HTC introduce their top of the pops phone, Samsung bring out theirs. This will have a huge impact on HTC.

The fact that there is an iPhone is neither here nor there until Apple bring out the new one. Even then Apple buyers will probably stick with Apple, while Android buyers will go for the S3.

Samsung will increase market share while Apple will keep theirs and HTC. Will lose some but to Samsung.

3. PaulR79

S3 didn't impress me

I'm an owner of the HTC One X and at the time I got it one of the thoughts I had was along the lines of, "I wonder if I should wait for the S3." I've owned three HTC phones, that includes the One X, and I'm a fan of the Sense overlay they use in general but if a rival handset came out that was unbeatable I would likely jump at the chance to own it. Compared to a stock Android experience Sense adds quite a bit although prior to Sense 4 the home screen wasted a lot of space on three, non-customisable buttons.

Unfortunately for Samsung their big S3 launch spectacle was just that, a spectacle. Nothing on their new phone made me go, "Wow! That's going to sell millions." I can still see it being a popular phone just as the S2 and original Galaxy S were but it isn't going to tempt me from a phone I'm very fond of now. The biggest stand out feature to me is one that I can easily see being somewhat widespread in a year and that's the one that keeps the screen on while you're looking at it.

I don't see non-Samsung Android owners looking at it and being all that impressed. It feels very much like the iPhone 4S in terms of slight updates in specs compared to the previous release. One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is what happens if Apple lose their cases. Are they made to compensate HTC, Samsung etc for lost revenue, missed sales targets and share price loss?

1. cs94njw

Re: S3 didn't impress me

The major thing that swung it for me was - battery. A more-or-less stress free weekend without having to worry if I've remembered my charger, or am I able to browse BBC News while waiting for a train because I've already lost half my charge.

1. Chris Parsons
        Headmaster

Re: S3 didn't impress me

I think they must have recently redefined stress, in that case. Good grief!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like